Diane's Reviews > Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

May 22, 2009

Read in May, 2009

“I was not a lovable child, and I’d grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it’d be a scribble with fangs”.

“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders”.

When Libby Day was just 7 years old, she survived a massacre that took the lives of her mother and two older sisters. She was just a child when she testified that her 15-year-old brother Ben was the one who committed the murders.

Fast forward twenty-five years, Libby’s brother Ben is serving a life sentence in prison, and Libby is running out of money from the trust that was set up in her behalf by strangers who donated money when she was little. Just as she is notified her trust fund has just hundreds of dollars remaining, Libby is contacted by someone named Lyle who has a proposition for Libby.

Lyle belongs to a group called: “The Kill Club", a group misfits obsessed with serious crimes. The group believes that Ben did not kill Libby’s family. Libby agrees to reconnect will people who were around at the time of the killing to find out more, hoping she will profit from the money the Club’s players are willing to pay to find out the truth. Libby is finally forced to confront the terrifying “dark places” she has managed to block out for most of her life.

The story is told in alternating chapters, present day and the time of the murders (1985), which works well, and although it takes a while for the story to build, the reader gradually learns about what happened on that terrible day in 1985.

I guess I should have known how dark and creepy this story would be after reading the author’s first book: Sharp Objects: A Novel several years ago --- I did enjoy that one. I did think the author did a very good job building the suspense about the events that occurred on that horrible day in 1985. A word of caution, if you are bothered by large amounts of foul language, and gore, you might want to pass on this title, otherwise if you are ready for a creepy-psychological thriller, give this one a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.