Beverly Diehl's Reviews > The Courtship

The Courtship by Grace Burrowes

5641908
Mar 24, 2013

bookshelves: short-story-novella, romance, historical-fiction

4.5 stars The courtship primarily takes place in a house party, where Lord Percival Windham is among the most eligible bachelors, and Miss Esther Himmelfarb is a poor relation invited at the last minute, to fill out the numbers.

What I especially like about this novella:

1) The ridiculous names like Esther Himmelfarb, Gladys Holsopple.

2) The cattiness among the contenders for the attentions of Lord Percy, and the other Lords. Hello, Mean Girls, Regency version!

3) The witty nicknames, such as My Lady Hair Bows, Lady Needmore (for Needham), Sir Weasel.

So much about this novella was funny, such as the phrase, “Her Grace looming over the marriage with the calendar in one hand and a receiving blanket in the other...”

What I didn’t like about this novella:

1) The gambling male cousin subplot for Esther doesn’t quite seem strong enough.

2) Esther’s request for kissing lessons come something out of the blue. She goes from playing whist and being relatively subservient to, “Swive me now!”

3) The misplaced message seems a bit contrived.

All in all, still a delight, and a quick, fun read. Those who've read the other Duke series novels by Ms. Burrowes will enjoy, and those who haven't, will probably still enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courtship.