Molly Mclane's Reviews > Dark Chatter

Dark Chatter by Andrew Branch

Read 2 times. Last read March 5, 2013.

The fun of this book is its entirely carefree attitude toward puns and geeky wordplay; I groaned as often as I laughed, but Dark Chatter is certainly hilarious if hilarity is defined by quantity of jokes attempted. The author and his protagonist are endearingly enthusiastic about words that rhyme (and some that don't), and they eventually prevail upon you with enough one-liners to make you smile.

Quicklime, the main character, is oddly sweet in his desire to share his profound disconnection from reality with the reader and his love interest (Sophie). The book is not exactly menacing, but most of what constitutes its plot and adventures are things I would hope never happen to me or anyone else. I almost feel a sort of karmic insurance that, having read about nipples being bitten by a perverted turtle (a "pervurtle," Branch insists) I will not have to experience it in life. So that's good.

I would recommend this book for anyone who's not sure if graduating from college is for them; it made me consider asking my adviser if I could stay for another few years, because Dark Chatter sure makes the post-BA degree world seem messed up.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Chatter.

Finished Reading