Maya Panika's Reviews > Baking Cakes in Kigali

Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin

did not like it

So Gaile Parkin has lived in Africa, she knows it really well! OK, I get that, I really do, I couldn’t escape it after having had it hammered at me for page after page after dreadful-dreary page.

I’ve never lived in Africa but I’d imagine real Africans don’t keep a running dialogue of the many details of their daily lives both in their own heads and with everyone they meet. Real people don’t make mental notes about the bins and the shops and the dusty streets or the way people regard a cake or their children or the AIDS crisis and then point it all out again in contrived, stilted conversations to all the other people for whom these things are part of the inconsequential, common experience. The entire book seemed to be constructed around a list of Things That Happen in Rwanda on a Daily Basis and after a while, it started to drive me not-so-slowly mad.

I may be mistaken but there seems to be to be hardly any plot here (where would you fit one in amongst the many tedious, incidental details that cram the pages?) but if there was, it was of no interest to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baking Cakes in Kigali.

May 22, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 29, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Writerlibrarian Ohhhh... I'll be curious to see if you like it. I've had that in my Amazon basket waiting to order for a while.

message 2: by Maya (new) - rated it 1 star

Maya Panika Chapters 1 and 2 were SO slow but it's getting into a better stride now. I'll be sure to post a review when I'm done. :o)

Writerlibrarian Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks for reviewing it.

message 4: by Maya (new) - rated it 1 star

Maya Panika Writerlibrarian wrote: "Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks for reviewing it."
Well, I don't know ::shrug:: It gets brilliant reviews from almost everyone who's read it, I seem to be in a tiny minority of 2! I don't know what they loved that I missed, I have to say I hated it but you might not. If you can get a library copy, give it a go, who knows, you might love it as much as practically everyone else seems to. *g*