Kerry's Reviews > Speaker for the Dead

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

it was ok
bookshelves: fromthelibrary, scifi

Blah. After Ender's Game, I was all excited to read this one, and it . . . was pretty boring. It wasn't TERRIBLE -- I finished it, but it was mostly boring.

The only really interesting things about it were a) biological concepts that are totally different from what we have here on earth, which, after watching a lot of "forehead aliens" on Star Trek is a nice change, and b) the impact of the whole you-don't-age-when-you're-travelling-close-to-the-speed-of-light thing (i.e. relativity and whatnot.) Besides that . . . eh. Jane could have been interesting, but she wasn't. And I missed Valentine. And the stupid Portuguese names were too similar and therefore confusing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaker for the Dead.

Started Reading
August 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2007 – Shelved
September 5, 2007 – Shelved as: fromthelibrary
September 5, 2007 – Shelved as: scifi

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

David The big problem with the 'stupid Portuguese names' is that they aren't portuguese. They are Brazilian names. Even for me (a Portuguese) they were very confusing.

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward The colonists were supposed to be Brazilian.

Respoding to Kerry's review; yea the truly alien aliens and the personal and social effects of near light-speed travel were cool.

Another impressive thing considering when the book was written was the "online" culture the whole human empire had due to the liking of ansible with planetary computer networks.

On-demand entertainment, e-books, blogs--there was even a character who threatened to post an embarrassing video of someone. (Interstellar You-Tube; talk about scary!)

I know these basic ideas were known to computer literate people of the day and often found their way into 80s science fiction. But this felt more real to me, than for example the way cyberpunk authors of the same period used them (with the notable exception of space colonization). I still have mixed feelings about Jane.

The story wasn't boring to me bacause of the constant suspense over what we would find out about the Piggies, and how the two societies would come to terms.

message 3: by Hanno (new)

Hanno Phoenicia I've been to Brazil; the culture is nothing like Portugal, so Card didn't get that part of the novel right. Enders Game was much deeper and psychological but also it was much more original.

Elizabeth Kelsey if you miss valentine... READ THE SEQUEL!!!