Shesten's Reviews > Mating Rituals of the North American WASP

Mating Rituals of the North American WASP by Lauren Lipton

May 22, 2009

bookshelves: would-recommend, owned

Plot Sketch: Peggy Adams and her best friend Bex own a small bath products shop in New York. Bex is married to Josh, who still lives in the apartment down the hall from her. Peggy lives with her boyfriend of seven years, Brock, who just won't propose. Under a constant barrage from the everyday pains of owning a small business, they take a break for another friend's bachelorette party in Vegas. Peggy gets super drunk and falls. Enter Luke and the Little White Wedding Chappel. Luke is from New Nineveh, CT and is as WASPy as they get. He lives in the Silas Ebenezer Sedgewick House, built shortly after the Revolutionary War and added onto again and again. He lives there with his great aunt, Miss Abigail. Back to Vegas. Peggy wakes up to find herself in bed with this strange man, but still fully clothed. She sneaks out to find her friends have checked her out of her room and she's got to catch her plane home. When she returns to work, she gets a phonecall from Luke Sedgewick of New Nineveh and found out that actually, she got married to him while in Vegas. This is the tale of their marriage and its quirky little twists and turns.

Verdict: I Heart It. It's a nice relaxing story, a great summer read. I recommend it, however, I got frustrated with the characters because they don't communicate. I kept screaming at them, "Just talk to each other!" It wasn't an inconsistency or a misunderstanding of people on Lipton's part, it is true to human behavior; I just couldn't help myself from thinking, "Geez. Just talk." That was my only hang-up, and like I said before, it didn't have anything to do with the writing. I appreciated that even though it was an adult book, it was clean both language wise and sex wise. I honestly think it could have been rated PG.

more at http://www.iheartmonster.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mating Rituals of the North American WASP.