Angie's Reviews > Why the Dalai Lama Matters: His Act of Truth as the Solution for China, Tibet, and the World

Why the Dalai Lama Matters by Robert A.F. Thurman

May 21, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: 2009, buddhism, tibet
Read in January, 2009

Horribly written and edited, not really worth you time. If you really want to know why HHDL matters, read one of his own books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why the Dalai Lama Matters.

Angie http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontli...

" Like, I'm a Tibetan --when I talk about my politics, about my country, oftentimes the critics I get are not Chinese or other Tibetans, but Westerners. They say, "How dare you contradict the Dalai Lama? How dare you say Tibetans should take up arms against the Chinese?"

And, I reply to them, " I'm a Tibetan. This is my country. These are issues that are close to me. You are living in a country where democracy is already there, freedom is already there. You may not like it, it may not be perfect, but we don't have anything." Whether the Tibetans want to get their country back to peace or violence or whatever, that's their business.

But, the problem is that in our situation, a lot of these people have become very powerful in the context of our politics, because they have money. They sponsor a lot of the monasteries; they sponsor a lot our people in power within the Tibetan world, especially Lamas. They become big patrons. So, they call the shots as far as Tibetans politics are concerned.

You may have noticed a lot of the issues that the Tibetans debate in their politics is very fuzzy, the question of environment, religious issues, environmental issues. That's not the real issue, at all. The real issue is a question of the survival of the people. But that issue is not debated at all."