Carolyn Appleton's Reviews > Living With Racism: The Black Middle-Class Experience

Living With Racism by Joe R. Feagin

Dr. Melvin P. Sikes was a longtime friend and mentor. We met when I attended graduate school at The University of Texas at Austin. I applied for a part-time job in his office in the early-1980s in the College of Education, where Mel was the multicultural studies expert. He was a Professor Emeritus, and soon would fully retire and close his office, which he had jointly shared with the distinguished professor Dr. S. Thomas Friedman. I was hired to manage daily business and to help him begin closing down his office. We became fast friends, and I accompanied Mel on some of his business calls. He and his wife, Zeta remained close friends of mine for the rest of their lives.

This book is eye-opening and you may find it difficult to read, because you will quickly see how racist behavior hurts good people. The book places the reader squarely in the shoes of those who experience racism first-hand. The debilitating effects are discussed and analyzed.

I was delighted to discover recently that my DNA reveals 1% from Mali in Africa (Ancestry.com). Oddly enough, because I had darker skin growing up, some thought I was Hispanic. I experienced racism on occasion. It always shocked me when that happened and I know how painful it is.

My few incidents pale in comparison to many African Americans today and throughout history, however. "Living With Racism" helps one grasp the effects of such ignorant and hurtful behavior.

I recommend this book highly, and I own an autographed copy by Dr. Sikes (one of the two co-authors). I think this book should be required reading for everyone in America - empathy training.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living With Racism.

Finished Reading