Carol's Reviews > The Plague

The Plague by Albert Camus

bookshelves: classics, fiction, read-2016, philosophy

When rats.....large grotesque rats begin dying everywhere across the coastal town of Oran in Northern Africa, an uneasy, but unheeded feeling among the townspeople gradually becomes reality with questions turning to fear and subsequent fever causing widespread panic.

As quarantines and sudden isolation from the outside world become a fact of life, our mild-mannered and selfless protagonist, Dr. Bernard Rieux maintains his cool despite exhaustion and the pestilence surrounding his long days.

THE PLAGUE is a gripping and horrific tale of confronting death and survival filled with Camus' usual philosophical points of view resulting in an unforgettable read. 4+ Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plague.

March 23, 2013 – Shelved
page 211
March 7, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
March 7, 2016 – Shelved as: philosophy
March 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Best Eggs Look forward to your review. This is one of my favourite books.

Carol Petra X wrote: "Look forward to your review. This is one of my favourite books."

Great read Petra!

message 3: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo This looks interesting. I've heard a lot about this one....but rats, large grotesque rats. <> Still might have to give it a shot. :-)

Carol PorshaJo wrote: "This looks interesting. I've heard a lot about this one....but rats, large grotesque rats. > Still might have to give it a shot. :-)"

Lol.....you should still read it PorshaJo

Carol Sabah wrote: "Great review, Carol. : )"

Thank you Sabah. Great classic!

Fabian {Councillor} This book sounds as if it has been written for me. :) Great review; I've added the book!

Carol Councillor wrote: "This book sounds as if it has been written for me. :) Great review; I've added the book!"

Hope you enjoy it too Councillor! :-)

Debra Great review Carol! I look forward to reading this!

message 9: by Shaina (new)

Shaina But it’s the fleas on the rats not the rats that carried the plague so the rats aren’t all that gross ... I’ll try to think of it that way. Yes. Should read it. Kudos Carol.

Carol Debra wrote: "Great review Carol! I look forward to reading this!"

Thank you Debra! :-)

Carol Shainlock wrote: "But it’s the fleas on the rats not the rats that carried the plague so the rats aren’t all that gross ... I’ll try to think of it that way. Yes. Should read it. Kudos Carol."

I don't know Shainlock; both are pretty gross to me, lol.