Aushlee's Reviews > This Bitter Earth

This Bitter Earth by Bernice L. McFadden

1996001
May 21, 2009

bookshelves: afro-lit

This was an enjoyable read. I finished in three days because the suspense was killing me; the words slipped off the page like a poem. That helped too. There were ghosts, magic, dreams and symbols that were mesmerizing and confusing in a good way. More than likely because it is a sequel and 'Sugar' couldn't be found when I went to pick them both up at the library. I am definitely going to make a point of getting my hands on it though. McFadden is a fantastic writer. Anyway, I learned that peace does come. And faster, if you face your fears head on. You can't run from heartbreak. Human will ... both to endure and to give up is impenetrable. LOVE. This story is truly about love ... and family. I am dying to know what happened to Sugar Lacey, Mercy and to Seth! Selfish me, he is one character I wish I could see with my own eyes but my imagination is holding its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Bitter Earth.

May 21, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 1, 2009 – Finished Reading
June 30, 2009 –
page 143
49.65% "2 hours at Main Library today. such a hoarder; picked up 'Whitney, My Love' adding some romance to my life and 'in defense of food'"
July 17, 2009 – Shelved as: afro-lit