Sharlene's Reviews > Kevin and the Seven Lions

Kevin and the Seven Lions by Martin Tiller

bookshelves: first-reads, children-stories

This book was received as a result of a First read Giveaway.

I am shamed to admit it, but I'm a mom who kept making her husband check the mail for this book. Should an adult be this excited about receiving a children's book? Why...yes!!! I tore open the packaging and read it immediately. I did enjoy it and I as a daydreamer could relate to Kevin and was happy to see the suggestion that his teacher gives to him in the end and what he is able to discover about himself. I love that even Kevin's parents get involved with the story.

I do feel that this book is geared toward an older child with some of the situations he daydreams about. If I did read it to a child younger than 6 I would probably not read it as a bed time story. BUT, what I do see here is a fantastic vehicle to get children, especially boys, interested in both reading and writing. Don't get me wrong, this has the feel of a unisex book and it is...but boys will be drawn to it and as someone who has worked in the classroom, I know it can be a challenge to get boys interested in a story at times. Kudos for that Tiller!

The language in the book flows well and I believe school age children in grades 3 and up will be able to read this by themselves.

I think many children will receive this book well and will hopefully get an itch to put pen to paper improving both literacy and creativity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kevin and the Seven Lions.

March 23, 2013 – Shelved as: first-reads