Jean Gill's Reviews > The Goldenwealth Light

The Goldenwealth Light by Scott McCloskey

Imaginative and enjoyable Part 1 of a bigger story for children

Be warned - the book ends in the middle of the story, which could be disappointing, especially for children, so I would have preferred to have the sequel too - and an ending, even an interim ending. However it is a big, enjoyable fantasy story, with an exciting quest for the two main characters, Theodore and his little sister Marie. They are transported from modern America to a world with six-legged bi-corned horses, warriors and people who change gender uncontrollably in adolescence (my favourites). The characters are well imagined and it's not often a writer comes up with something new - I've read a lot of fantasy books and I think Scott McCloskey pulls that off.

Without moralising, the story invites discussion of many moral issues, and avoids the easy stereotypes. I would really enjoy discussing with children how the characters deal with their fears, responsibilities and the feeling that you're a failure. The notion of `contraries' is a brilliant way to describe the merry band of failures supporting Theodore in his quest and I look forward to the ways in which the contraries succeed in Book2 - they better had! The novel sets out to be an old-fashioned read, and succeeds, and would be fun to share with 8-11 year olds.

As a speaker of British English, I found that occasionally some of the dialogue in the fantasy world jarred on me; `Come on, already' for example. I'd prefer the fantasy world to be more neutral but that's a minor criticism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goldenwealth Light.

Started Reading