Jason's Reviews > Kayaks down the Nile

Kayaks down the Nile by John Goddard

bookshelves: travel

I haven't felt a book pull me in to it's pages this strongly in a long time! It was fascinating to read the adventures of Goddard and his 2 buddies kayak the 4125 mile Nile River at a time when few white men had ever even traveled to Africa! Having contracted malaria, dysentery, staph infections and other goodies while also having to battle crocodiles and hippos along the raging whitewater rapids sounded like a miserable yet beautiful adventure! These 3 men saw things that very few people in the world have ever seen, like visiting the tomb of King Tut at a time when there were no guided tours, no signs, or even anyone monitoring the site! It was exciting to read about the trio stumbling upon archaeological site after archaeological site, and throwing on fins and a mask to explore those that had been covered over by water.

The writing was fast-paced because it was done in daily, diary fashion. The descriptions of the places John visited were sometimes brief and I found it interesting that he would mention things as a side note that most of us would consider jaw-dropping. Best of all, the book included some really cool pictures of the sites visited and of the peoples they encountered along the way. Again, I had a very hard time putting this book down and would recommend it for anyone who enjoys adventure stories or travelogues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kayaks down the Nile.

May 20, 2009 – Shelved