Sophie's Reviews > An Accomplished Woman

An Accomplished Woman by Jude Morgan

bookshelves: 2013

What a delight to find an author who respects the art of the historical novel, who cares about accuracy, and who creates characters that seem like products of their era. An Accomplished Woman is a joy to read and I loved immersing myself in country walks, Bath assemblies, and post-chaise chases. Jude Morgan writes about adult characters who have witty conversations and generally behave precisely as we imagine people in the Regency would behave. How refreshing that even though the heroine, Lydia Templeton, is the accomplished woman of the title, her accomplishments don't come from running a business, or a spy ring, or any kind of secret society, or any of the other ludicrous occupations that pepper today's historical novels. This is a Regency very much in the style of Jane Austen, but therein lies my only complaint. Occasionally, what felt like an homage to Austen--at one point, the author manages to work the titles of several Austen novels into a conversation--teetered perilously close to derivation. When entire speeches sound as if lifted from one of Austen's novels, I think it goes beyond wink-and-a-nod territory. But, fortunately, that did not happen often, and I was able to enjoy the novel for its own sake most of the time. All in all, I'm delighted to have discovered this author and can't wait to find Jude Morgan's other titles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Accomplished Woman.

March 21, 2013 – Started Reading