Sebrina 's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

I have a girl crush on a few different ladies in Hollywood. Among them in no particular order are:
Tina Fey
Kristen Wig
Amy Poehler
Melissa McCartney
and Mindy Kaling

Are you noticing a common thread here? My favorite among these has varied over the years and depending on their current work, but I do have a special place in my heart for Mindy.

Why?

She's funny, normal sized, unabashedly herself - even when that self is highly flawed - and brown (which is something that is all too rare in Hollywood without being portrayed as sultry and sexy).

When I found out she had a book coming out, I was hooked. I just had to read it! That alone had me.
Of the few celebrity memoirs I've read, I have really enjoyed them. And this one was the best yet!

Mindy is absolutely hilarious as evident by her career credentials and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? had me literally laughing out loud on several occasions.

Here are a few of my favorite parts:

~ I Am Not an Athlete - her disdain for Frisbee and experiences with friends trying to teach her to love it reminds me of my life long battle against volleyball. It rung so true to life and she described every facet in the perfect laugh-inducing way.

~ Day Jobs - "'Mommy wanted to know who ate all the turtle-shaped bagel pizzas, and I knew it was you, but I lied and said it was me.' She burst into tears. I hugged her and told her, 'You can never tell her the truth.' And let her stay up an extra hour watching Lizzie McGuire. Bribes and boy bands. That's all you need to be a babysitter." This paragraph brought tears to my eyes from laughing so hard :)

~ Best Friends Rights and Responsibilities - such an endearing code of conduct for friends to abide by. Definitely worth copying down and giving to all your girlfriends! It reminded me of the roommate rules my roommate and I came up with during our time together.

~ Types of Women in Romantic Comedies Who Are Not Real - as I read through this list, Mindy touched on every single frustration I have found in female characters of RomCom movies. So much of what she writes reaffirms that I am not alone in my thinking.

Can you tell how much I enjoyed this book? It's absolutely on the top of my fave list for this year :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

Started Reading