Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > The Devil's Metal

The Devil's Metal by Karina Halle

1 part Almost Famous + 1 part sexually charged anticipation + 1 part campy horror movie = this shiznit.

3.5 stars. I'm going to call it a good day of reading, but I did wish for more creep-tastic happenings from the jump. I'm pretty sure that most of us guessed what was going on pretty early in the game based on the synopsis, so I'm not sure why we had to wait to find out until close to the end. Either that, or I just have a thing for dissecting book titles.

The first half of the book had me curious, even though it was a bit of a slow starter. However, the second half really brought everything home for me. I am super excited to see what comes next.
I was all fear and only fear, and that's what I would be for all my existence.

Dawn is a rock fan, picked to interview a band while on tour (hence the Almost Famous comparison). I'm not really sure what it was about her, but I never felt the draw to Dawn as a person. However, she did have one thing working for her - she was strong, even when she probably thought that she wasn't.
"You can't save him. You can't save any of them."

I dare anyone to argue with me that Sage was the star of this book in every way. Isn't this always the case with a man of mystery? We as the readers get sucked into wanting to know what's going on behind the wall.
"I haven't interviewed you," I pointed out. "And you're the most important piece of the puzzle."
"I'm the most broken piece of the puzzle."

And there's the GIMME. Immediately, you want to know what's going on with Sage.

Let's see...

~ Rock Band
~ Scary Stuff
~ Alright, and some sexy stuff too

Btw, Karina if you see this....loins? Really...loins? My eyes keep reading that as lions. That word messes with my head.

This book provided from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Metal.

March 21, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Can't wait to see what you think! This one worked for me :)

Ash Wednesday My thoughts exactly on reading the blurb. Loved that movie to pieces btw ('Tiny Dancer' and the plane scene? Yes!), I just hope the pop-culture references aren't too cool (read: obscure) for me to relate.

message 3: by Airah ♔ (new) - added it

Airah ♔ I'd love to say, can't wait for your review Stacia.. but I won't!:) I avoid any reviews for any book I'm reading/about to read in the future. I wish I could finish this soon so I could catch up with your review. Would definitely love to know what you think someday!

Btw, I realized just now the reason you changed your profile pic.. must be the creepy vibe/mood? lols Enjoy reading!:))

message 4: by Dawnie (new) - added it

Dawnie The description is unlike anything I've ever seen but is still PNR. It's the best of both worlds! I love romance or paranormal romance, but finding one that isn't formulaic is increasingly difficult. This looks promising!

Brenna I loved this! I hope you do too! :)

message 6: by Nuzaifa (new) - added it

Nuzaifa - Word Contessa Haven't read this one yet,loved Karina Halle's other books though.Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog) Hi Stacia! The Devil's Metal is a pseudo spin off of the EIT books. You should finish that series. It's phenomenal! The Devil's Metal has a brief cameo in book 4, Lying Season. :) Happy reading!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I've read the first EiT and plan on reading book 2 soon.

I didn't mean to ignore all of the above comments. This is the first notification I'd gotten for the book in a while (stupid GR glitches). I didn't mean to put this down but got caught up with other scheduled reads, so I hope to finish up sometime later this week.

message 9: by TJlovestoread (new)

TJlovestoread Blog Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I fuly respect it... on that premise.. I just want to say that I feel you are too harsh with KA's books.. :(... I agree with the editing thing...though..butyou say ratings are based on what you expect out of the specific genre.. but KA is a separate genre.. you know??? we know what to expect from her and what the books are about.. my mind goes there when I read her and I enjoy her stories very much :).. I try not to enter into her books with a realistic mind..you know??

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm assuming you mean Kristen Ashley, not Karina Halle? I was a little confused because of the review this comment is on.

Kristen Ashley books have always been very hit and miss for me. She has a good feel for romance and knows how to write a steamy scene, but I feel like she would produce better quality if she slowed down and didn't churn out so many books in a short amount of time. I don't treat her any differently than I would any other author. I wouldn't give even my favorite author a pass if she mass produced books full of glaring errors and recycled stories.

message 11: by TJlovestoread (new)

TJlovestoread Blog Stacia (and her imaginary friend) wrote: "I'm assuming you mean Kristen Ashley, not Karina Halle? I was a little confused because of the review this comment is on.

Kristen Ashley books have always been very hit and miss for me. She has a..."

OMG I am so sorry.. I did not intend for this comment here.. you are right,, there where several reviews from you one after the other and yes I meant that... :) thanks...

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's no problem! I mistake things all the time. In fact, I just mixed up two authors on a friend's review. No joke.

message 13: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat I have been obsessed with Experiment in Terror lately. I want to check this book out too at some point.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I am going to try my damn hardest to get to the next EiT book this month and maybe On Every Street.

I have way too many series in progress, sigh.

Brenna I completely agree about Sage!

Stacia (the 2010 club) He is quite yummy.

message 18: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Ooo ... I have this one!

Stacia (the 2010 club) You'll have to let me know what you think if/when you read it, Michelle.

Megan wrote: "EIT! EIT! EIT!"

Haha, I like your enthusiasm.

Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog) Hi Stacia, I'm Megan and I'm insane. EIT!!

Brenna ^ this is true.

message 22: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review Stacia!