Katy's Reviews > The Stuff of Dreams

Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Recommended for: Fans of ST:TNG, especially if interested in the Nexus

Book Info: Genre: Science Fiction/TV and Movie Tie-in
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: ST:TNG fans, especially those interested in the Nexus.
Trigger Warnings: suicide, genocide (historical Borg attacks mentioned), religious zealots

My Thoughts: This book is definitely for fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation. If you haven't watched the show and/or followed the various books that have been written in the cannon and/or seen the movie Star Trek: Generations you will not have any idea what is going on in this book. Then again, why would someone who is not a fan of ST:TNG even want to read this novella? So, there you go.

This was, however, for a fan a neat story. It takes place thirteen years after Star Trek: Generations and involves the Nexus. It also occurs after Star Trek: Nemesis. There are a number of new crewmembers, and Worf is the first officer. There is not a lot of character development as such; this book is mostly action and events, so if you prefer a more character-driven story you probably won't enjoy this much, but I was entertained. Then again, I am a Trekker, so of course I would enjoy it. I didn't find anything to nitpick about; the story flows quickly, and the Nexus, of course, allows a bit of temporal flux to give things a bit of excitement. If you are a fan of ST:TNG, and especially if you were interested in the Nexus, be sure to grab this fun novella. If you aren't, you'll want to find something else.

Disclosure: I received an e-galley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: The Enterprise-E arrives in unclaimed space for a rendezvous with the Starfleet science vessel Newton. Jean-Luc Picard and his crew have been ordered to assist the Newton with the final phase of its current mission—a mission that brings Picard face to face with something he never thought he would see again: the phenomenon known as the Nexus. Less than twelve years after it left the Alpha Quadrant, the Nexus ribbon has now returned. Tasked to track and study the phenomenon as it re-entered the galaxy, the specialist science team on the Newton discovered that the orbital path of the Nexus has been radically altered by the actions of the rogue El-Aurian Tolian Soren—taking it deep into the territory of The Holy Order of the Kinshaya, one of the key members of the Typhon Pact. Starfleet Command is unwilling to allow the Kinshaya—and by extension, the Typhon Pact—free access to what is essentially a gateway to anywhere and anywhen, as a single operative could use the Nexus to change the course of galactic history….

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stuff of Dreams.

March 21, 2013 – Shelved
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: galley-for-review
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: net-galley
May 27, 2013 – Started Reading
May 27, 2013 –
39.0% "Takes place 13 years after the events of Generations. This time the nexus is approaching the area held by dangerous religious fundamentalists. OOooo. It's good so far!"
May 27, 2013 –
41.0% "Almost hate to stop reading this to edit, but since I know I'm editing some good stuff this week (Book 3 in the Pantheons series by E.J. Dabel!), I will be able to wait until I'm done to finish..."
May 27, 2013 –
53.0% "Short break to eat a sub, now back to editing!"
May 27, 2013 –
72.0% "Gotta stop drinking so many Cokes, it's cutting into my editing time, but then again, I'm making good progress on my book, a page or two at a time!"
May 27, 2013 –
89.0% "I'm sleepy, ready to take a nap. Managed a bit over half of the book I'm editing in about 10 hours of work. Yeah, high time I raised my rates a bit. By the time I'm finished with this, I'll probably be receiving $2 or $3 an hour... G'night all!"
May 28, 2013 – Finished Reading