Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Temping Is Hell

Temping Is Hell by Cathy Yardley

bookshelves: reviewed-by-shirene

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Sell your soul to the devil and you better hope the devil is a good guy.

Opening Sentence: Aloysius shuffled from his cramped office to the basement for his weekly random check on the workers.

The Review:

There are many times as a reader I question how much longer I’m going to slog through a story in the hopes that it will be worth the effort. I felt that way about this book until I was half way through chapter 2 and the story started to spin and jump like a ballerina in my head. The world started to make sense and our nerdy and fashion challenged heroine, Kate started to shine as the gem in this world. Thomas’ entry into the world was a bit jarring. How can a billionaire not know the way around his own office building or at least have someone to show him the way. But as we learn later in the story he has been a bit obsessed with training so that he can outwit and kill 12 demons before he can kill the man that took his soul.

The sequence where Kate and Thomas meet is just too funny, causing me to hold my sides because I was laughing so hard. Absolutely classic. The fact that I can still hear “baby got back” playing on repeat in my head shows the level of cleverness that Ms. Yardley has used an iconic song to draw these two characters together. I’m sure the next time I hear that song out and about I will remember this little scene.

I do have a couple of unanswered questions but the one that is bothering me the most is, “Why can Kate read and spend so much time with the contracts and not be effected like everyone else?” This would be a great way to expand this world if we find that Kate has something that aided her from madness or death as she continues her “corporate job”.

Overall, the writing is tight. The story once you get past the first speed bump is smooth sailing. I look forward to reading book 2 and seeing what kind of mischief Thomas and Kate will find themselves in.

Notable Scene:

“I wanted to ask you about continuing work when this contract piece is done,” he said instead, leaning back in his chair.

“No.” The word was out of her mouth before he finished his sentence. He quirked an eyebrow at her interruption, and at least she blushed. “I mean–Sorry. I, uh, don’t think I’m cut out for working for a big corporation.”

“That’s such a cop out.”

Now her eyebrows jumped to her hairline. “Excuse me?”

“Come on. You can handle everything I’ve dished out at you and then some,” he said, forgetting momentarily that this was a ruse. “You’re one of the most competent women I’ve ever met. I think you could not only handle this job–you could knock it out of the park.”

Her hard expression softened. “Really? You think so?”

“I really do.” He sighed. “I think you could be amazing.”

FTC Advisory: Entangled Select provided me with a copy of Temping is Hell. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temping Is Hell.

Finished Reading