Barbara's Reviews > Ireland

Ireland by Frank Delaney

Sep 04, 2007

bookshelves: audiobook

I listened to this in audiobook form and it was read by the author, Frank Delaney. He has a background in broadcasting and, unlike most authors reading their own works, he was the perfect choice. I don't know if I would have given it 5 stars if I had just been reading it myself, but the audiobook is outstanding.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ireland.

September 4, 2007 – Shelved
January 1, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook

message 1: by Sherry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherry Barb, I thought you would like this. Wonderful, wasn't it?

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara I meant to post a note about it, but with all of the changes in webboards, I must have forgotten. Yes, I loved it. I found it on one of my first trips to my new library after we moved, a nice welcoming discovery. When an author reads his work well, it is nice to know that he is pronouncing the words and using inflections the way he meant them to be heard. I thought that was especially nice with Irish dialect.

Barb

message 3: by Sherry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sherry I loved all the stories and how they were woven together with the overall story. And I love the idea of a wandering storyteller.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara And, I loved the idea that the tradition would be continued. He also did a nice job of contrasting history and storytelling, how limiting the constraints of the former would be on the latter.