Dawn Peers's Reviews > Day by Day Armageddon

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne

1967886

bookshelves: amazon-reviewed, zombies

I am a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, especially zombie novels.

I came to JL Bourne's books only a few months ago, but within a few pages of this his writing style had me hooked.

The story initially comes from the perspective of one military man immediately before, during, and after the viral outbreak that brings around the inevitable zombie apocalypse. The pragmatism of the main character brings to mind the way Max Brook's characters operated in World War Z, but he is realistic, fallible, and likeable. As a range of characters are introduced, there is a (gratefully) noticeable lack of genre stereotypes, which makes this novel feel fresh against some of the alternatives available (such as Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain which is a good novel, but has a lack of originality).

The story moves at a great pace, and keeps you wanting to turn the page - the details where the writer has obvious knowledge (such as military actions and equipment) are thorough, but not overbearingly so.

I'd bought the sequel, Beyond Exile: Day By Day Armageddon, before I even finished this, and devoured that when it arrived too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day by Day Armageddon.

Started Reading
May 8, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 20, 2013 – Shelved
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: amazon-reviewed
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: zombies

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Dawn Peers Of course, it depends what you have already read. The Morningstar Strain by ZA Recht is well worth a look, and is a trilogy. Kim Paffenroth writes excellent zombie fiction, too. There are also some underrated indie zombie authors, and I would look up "Deadlocked" and "Living with the Dead"