Aa'Ishah's Reviews > Blackbird

Blackbird by Cheryl McIntyre

Mar 20, 2013

bookshelves: blog-tour, contemporary-fiction, reviewed, kindle

Blackbird tells the story of the years between the final chapter and the epilogue of Sometimes Never, in which Hope and Mason do their separate things while still trying to make their relationship work, and also learn to confront their own issues once and for all.

I loved this one because in Blackbird, Mason's problems become more obvious. You can see just how messed up he is. In the first book, his anger and the difficulty he has with his own past are visible, but in the novella, while Hope still struggles a great deal, there is also more emphasis on Mason's struggle. He has to learn to address his temper, his quick impulses. On top of that, his problems are worsened by the fact that his mother is being frustratingly stubborn. In a way, I can understand where she's coming from and why she's acting the way she is; she has Kellin to think about too. But then I also don't think that she should be acting that way. In the first instance, it makes her a hypocrite, which I loved Hope for pointing out to her. In the second, it shows a lack of understanding on her part. It just emphasises her inability to deal with life and the readiness to give up. Despite her own pain and grief, she can't seem to comprehend that of someone else, and the pressure that she put on Mason because of this, the hurt she inflicted on him, really had me feeling for him.

As I said before, Hope is still struggling a lot here. She thought she had things figured out, but going to college has made her realise that actually, she has no idea what she's going to do. It feels like there are too many things happening, too many things to think about and decide, and they're suffocating her. There were a couple of close calls, and she put Mason through a lot, but I was happy when she really made an effort to overcome her fears and impulses. Even more so when Guy and Chase came along and speeded up the process. I was glad to see that despite everything, she did want Mason to be happy, and she was offering to sacrifice a lot if it meant his mother would allow their family to go back to how they used to be.

The ending for this is adorable, as is the epilogue of Sometimes Never. I'm so happy it ended that way.

I can't say any more. Just know that I love Cheryl McIntyre, I love her books, her characters, and even if I had her companion novel, as yet untitled, in my hands right now, it still wouldn't be soon enough. I'm going to go stalk her on Twitter now.

This review is also posted on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbird.

Aa'Ishah Totally, she just makes it so easy for me to connect with the characters. Haha, I hope you do like them whenever you get around to meeting them. :)

Aa'Ishah I know. I can never get enough of that feeling, even when it adds to my never-ending TBR or means money gets spent on the books rather than, say, food. ;)

Aa'Ishah We could even say that books are food. Just for our minds. ;)