Katrina's Reviews > Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape

Jack of Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham

May 19, 2009

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, manga-graphic-novel, teen
Recommended for: Fans of GNs, the Fables series, and Gregory Maguire

Jack of Fables is a spin-off of the comic book Fables, which shows the adventures of Jack Horner/Jack and the Beanstalk after his exile from Fabletown. If you're a reader of the Fables series as I am then there are no need for introductions, just a wee bit of recap.

Jack of Fables: The (Nearly) Great Escape (Volume 1) collects Issues #1-5 which follows Jack's adventures after his stint in Hollywood, as a movie mogul, and his abduction to the Golden boughs "Retirement Community" for fables.

Along the way we get to meet some new fables, and some not-so-new ones. The criminally-insane Goldilocks is one example (and I thought that Bigby and Snow White were successful in finally finishing her off), Fables from long-forgotten stories whose stories have been conveniently "forgotten" in the Mundy world, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox, and the most interesting of all, the Pathetic Fallacy (who prefers to be called Gary) who's name should be interpreted as a literary concept rather than being a character from literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack of Fables, Vol. 1.