Akoss's Reviews > Plastic Polly

Plastic Polly by Jenny Lundquist

bookshelves: mg-historical-contemp, all-mg

This is the story about finding your true self and standing up for who you are no matter what people around you say or think about you.
Plastic Polly is packed with emotional conflict and challenges. It reminded me of how harsh middle school can be. I have no clue what it feels like to be popular but I was once an Alyssa and it pinched my heart reading about the broken friendships. I love the fact that I got a glimpse into the life of a popular middle school girl. No matter what side you're on it's not easy. The pressure Polly was willing to put herself under just to belong with the popular crowd was heavy. Meanwhile Kelsey (who wears the popular girl attitude like a skin) was more than happy to welcome her unplanned time off from everything middle school related. The high stakes paired with the "failures" made Polly's journey to self acceptance in addition to finding her own voice pretty powerful.
The voice in this book is loud and the characters stay with you long after you've done reading it. I'm definitely saving a copy for my daughter to read.
The only thing the child in me found missing? A really good payback to the mean girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plastic Polly.

March 19, 2013 – Shelved