Hallie's Reviews > Immortal

Immortal by Gene Doucette

bookshelves: life-is-too-short, not-my-cuppa, fantasy

My decision to stop listening (no audiobook in GR atm, and I may or may not have the energy to add it) was a combination of frustration with the audiobook and the things I didn't like about the book overwhelming those I did. First off, the reader was okay except for when he was reading women - especially the medieval French vampire, which was bad enough that I would have returned the audio if I hadn't listened for quite a while already. But pretty darn close in annoyingness was the modern-day Boston vampire.

The plot meandered a lot, which sort of made sense, given that our protag/narrator has lived since the earliest days of man, and so had a lot of experiences to 'share', every time it might be somewhat relevant. It just took a long time to get from "the first/last time I [did whatever] was back in [whenever]" to back to present situation, especially on audiobook.

This was mildly frustrating, but I was also (mildly) interested in where it was all going, until our brave protag murdered someone. In the context of the story, it was understandable, and he didn't have much choice. But then there was a long digression about the first time he'd killed someone (another hunting group) and how it hadn't caused him any remorse, which was followed by (I'm paraphrasing because I can't just flip to the page to quote) "And we won and then we raped a bunch of their women." Which is first followed by "You weren't there, you don't get to judge me" and then a big long discourse about how civilization hasn't changed much and inside humankind is really savage but most people just don't realise it. Which makes the "you can't judge me for those rapes, because you weren't alive back when we were --- uncivilized" argument fall rather to pieces. I just didn't care enough to keep listening for the mild entertainment I'd found in places. (I did like the pixies though.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.

Started Reading