Trish's Reviews > A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya

A Small Corner of Hell by Anna Politkovskaya

Mar 19, 2013

bookshelves: put-aside

Will finish this one day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small Corner of Hell.

March 19, 2013 – Shelved
March 24, 2014 –
page 38
16.38% "wow. perhaps the most informative and insightful introduction ever, by Georgi Derluguian, followed by the most gorgeous and open-eyed reporting ever. A true classic showing man's best...and worst."
March 25, 2014 –
page 64
27.59% "Reading this book "requires moral labor" (from the Introduction by Georgi Berluguian)"
April 2, 2014 –
page 100
43.1% "After reading the first report by Politkovskaya, I sent away for my own copy. This, too, is human life, hard as it is to grasp, or stomach. Classic."
August 18, 2016 – Shelved as: put-aside

message 1: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Zakariah wrote: "Aptly titled from what I've heard. When I taught in the CIS in 1993, I had a number of Chechen students exited about finally having the right to immigrate back "home." I have often wondered what be..."

CIS? Something Information Service?

message 2: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Zakariah wrote: "I taught for a year in Kyrghystan at the time..."

How cool is that?! Did you travel from there through South Asia or go north?

message 3: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish I'm jealous. Turkey is one place I would love to go...

message 4: by Ina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ina Cawl do you know while Putin was trying to reconquer this region he has killed 100 thousand Muslim people and he still is killing thousands of Muslims now in Syria

message 5: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Ina wrote: "do you know while Putin was trying to reconquer this region he has killed 100 thousand Muslim people and he still is killing thousands of Muslims now in Syria"

Yes, I know. I'm afraid Muslims have become the new Jews. There must be some way to stop the madness.

message 6: by Ina (last edited May 28, 2016 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ina Cawl my mother tribal region which is called Ogaden and it is located in western part of Ethiopia is faceing many injustice and humility
and no foreign news are accepted thereand forty percent of the women there are raped by Ethiopian Armies
and Kashmir which is muslim region at the top of India also feeling injustice by the way 100 thousand Indian armies are located there which makes Kashmir one of the biggest region where armies are located there
and by the way let us do not forget China which makes what West wrong small compared to it
i mean Xinjiang which is located at the western part of China and mostly populated by Turkish Muslim
Beard is forbidden for Men and Hijab is forbidden for Women