C.G. Drews's Reviews > Complicit

Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2018, ya-male-narrators

I keep reading books by this author because they're SO ADDICTIVE AND INTENSE. They're good, but I also get to the end and my #1 feeling is: wtf just happened. But that's the point isn't it?! This is crammed with unreliable narrators, blackouts, secrets, and mental disorders. It's intense and it's twisty and it's so so freaking messed up. I'm kind of addicted gahhhh. I need them all. Charm & Strange is my favourite, but I also love When I Am Through with You and The Smaller Evil!

So this is about a super messed up sibling relationship, which is one of my favourite things to read about. Ohhh it's so unreliably told. Jamie narrates, and he has absolutely super severe anxiety, he blacks out and doesn't remember things, he pulls out his hair, and he's just an absolute mess. The book starts off with his sister, Cate, in prison for arson. And we unwind the WHY (although do we?!? *sobsob*) Cate was such an interesting character. It's like she set herself up to be this slinky, unhinged, provocative girl all to (view spoiler), but she has such depth?! And she's so elusive through the book it's constnatly "catch Cate! find Cate! GET ANSWERS". Their mother was also murdered when they were little and now they've both been adopted by super rich/nice parents...but there are questions.

HOLY HECK SO MANY QUESTIONS.

It's seriously the kind of book that's best knowing not much before you read. It's addictive and sometimes awful (in a good way?!! idk how that works just go with it) and I just wanted answers so so badly. AHHHHH. My brain is still spinning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complicit.

March 19, 2013 – Shelved
July 9, 2018 – Started Reading
July 9, 2018 –
page 87
33.98% "THE VILLAIN'S NAME IS 1 LETTER OFF MINE. IS THIS A SIGN FOR FUTURE CAREER PATHS."
July 9, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
July 9, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 9, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
July 9, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
July 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps I love this writer for the same reasons you do.

message 2: by Mackenzie (new) - added it

Mackenzie Fletcher I loved Delicate Monsters so I can't believe I haven't read more of her books yet

C.G. Drews Her books are always incredible! And...I mean, I end them and usually hate every character 😂but in a good way?! (Also I just started Delicate Monsters and then I'll have read all her books, nooooo, need more!)