Jillian's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein

Mar 18, 2013

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favourites, fav-covers, the-best-of-the-best, best-female-characters

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend."

This book somehow managed to break my heart, and then make me want to go back to the beginning and read it again and nothing else for a long while. Generally, if a book destroys me like that, I'll not want to be immediately destroyed again—I don't particularly like being made to sob like a child.

I'm almost sorry that I went through it as fast as I did. I should have taken more time to make sure I took in every word and soul-shattering moment, every bit of Maddie and Julie's story and friendship and courage... I love them so much.

But from the opening line, "I AM A COWARD", I was glued to the pages, even though I was intensely dreading the end, because how could it be anything other than crushingly sad?

The beautiful, sincere writing, and those two beautiful, brilliant characters—Maddie, the girl from Northern England who sells bikes to Jews and loves to fly, and Julie, the Scottish (remember that—she doesn't take kindly to you forgetting) aristocrat who make jokes and tells the truth—caught hold of me and wouldn't let go. It's all vivid enough to see and feel and hear and plausible enough to believe it's real.

It stays with you. It's been several days since I've finished it and it's still as fresh in my brain as if it was just last night when I turned the last page and wiped the tears off my face. So many fantastic books flit away right after you're done. This one stays put.

Code Name Verity is utterly brilliant and so very beautiful. The characters are amazing. It makes you laugh. And gasp. And sob. It shatters you like a glass ornament dropped on concrete, but it doesn't quite leave you desolate and empty. It's clever and it stays with you and makes you want to read it again. And again. It's quite unlike anything I've ever read.

Bravo, Elizabeth Wein.

"Kiss me, Hardy."

(Obligatory language warning: if you were being tortured by Nazis, your language might not be too pretty, either.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Quotes Jillian Liked

“FLY THE PLANE, MADDIE.”

Elizabeth E. Wein
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”

Elizabeth E. Wein
“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can't believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.
But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.”

Elizabeth E. Wein
“Nothing like an arcane literary debate with your tyrannical master while you pass the time leading to your execution.”

Elizabeth E. Wein
“But a part of me lies buried in lace and roses on a riverbank in France-a part of me is broken off forever. A part of me will be unflyable, stuck in the climb.”

March 18, 2013 – Shelved