Giselle's Reviews > Hopeless

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

bookshelves: arc, ebook

Wow where do I start? At the amazing characters? At the sky rocketing chemistry? At the scenes that are so powerfully emotional that you want to curl into a ball and cry for days? I have nothing but praise for this gem that Colleen has created. This book rocked my world, and then it broke it in two.

Before we get down and heavy into the depths, let's talk about what started it all, and that is the characters. Sky is our protagonist and she could not have been a more enjoyable character for me. She does not have an ounce of superficiality on her body. This girl is honest, so honest that she blurts out the most random and embarrassing things because she doesn't want to play games or make assumptions. She's probably the most authentic character I have met in a book thus far. Her straightforward attitude is the cause of a few comical moments between her and Holder, but moreover, it's the reason she fits so well with him. Holder is definitely intense--especially at the beginning. He clearly has issues that he has a hard time voicing, which leaves him balancing on the edge of his abyss. I found their personalities to fit together perfectly, actually. I was not sure about Holder as the love interest at the start as he came off as a little forceful, but I was left intrigued by the reasons behind these actions. It's obvious he has motives beyond our understanding, and he never crossed any lines in my "book of unforgiving behavior", he's just a little... determined. It didn't take long until we got to see more sides to him, showing that his character is much more complex than the bad boy he's rumored to being. Together, these two sizzle! I have rarely come upon a romance that sparked as much as this one. Their chemistry is coupled with a shared connection that is positively explosive, yet convincing. I was lost to lala-land entirely while reading this novel.

Much darker than I had expected, Hopeless is a harsh read that will clobber your heart, leaving you bloody and broken. While I did guess at a lot of the events that would occur, this novel still left me disturbed and shocked, even when I did know what was coming. It's the kind of story that is not meant to leave you flabbergasted by the sudden twist of events--although the less perceptive than I might be--rather it's meant to rattle your bones with its raw, visceral intensity. The last half of the novel delivers some violently emotional scenes that displays exactly what kind of talent Colleen possesses to be able to embed so much power into the written word. I'm telling you, some of it took my breath away--I literally had the urge to look away until it passed, not because of anything gory (though one part is a little bit), but because of how much pain it entails. I was not expecting so much grit from such a pretty blue skied cover.

On the subject of covers, take a look at the full mockup and tell me you don't get chills (especially those who've read it):

Such a perfect representation. I'm hoping the published version is not changed as the front cover was modified slightly for the Atria release.

What else can I say? This novel was an honest to goodness extraordinary read that mesmerized me every step of the way. It's undeniably haunting, crazily romantic, and the type of story that you just don't get over.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hopeless.

March 18, 2013 – Shelved
March 18, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
March 18, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook
April 19, 2013 – Started Reading
April 20, 2013 –
45.0% "This is rocking my world! I stayed up til 3am reading this *chugs coffee*. Also, she's giving a run for Jennifer Armentrout's money for the amount of chemistry in this book. Actually no, she's winning by far! *fans self*"
April 20, 2013 –
59.0% "I totally just figured out the meaning of his tattoo--does that mean I guessed the ending everyone's going on about?"
April 20, 2013 –
64.0% "Ok wow. I thought I had it all figured out.. Joke's on me!"
April 21, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Kaylee Magic This book is REALLY good, Giselle. Like really, REALLY. I'm picky with NA books but this one just blew me away <33

Giselle It's what I'm told! I just got it so I'll be reading it for the Atria published release in May! :)

message 3: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa GL, you'll either love it or hate it. It seems there is very little in between with this one

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Riya This book continued to surprise me over and over again when I was reading it.

I hope you're enjoying it :)

Danielle "This rocked my world and broke it in two! <\3"

Yup! Me too! That was a hard review to write!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) I just read this too- so great!!

nick Giselle, if you loved this one, you'll definitely adore Slammed. I hope you read it soon. :)

Giselle Oh I will, Nick! I'm reading If You Stay right now (don't love it as much as this but it's really good), then it's Easy, and then it's Slammed! I have it all planned out! :D Yeehaw!

~Tina~ Dame! Looking at that cover made my stomach just drop. This book destroyed and lifted me at the same time. I still can't get it out of my head. Great review girl!!

message 11: by nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

nick Giselle wrote: "Oh I will, Nick! I'm reading If You Stay right now (don't love it as much as this but it's really good), then it's Easy, and then it's Slammed! I have it all planned out! :D Yeehaw!"

I didn't like If You Stay to be honest but I definitely loved Easy! Yay!
So good to know you've planned to read all these NA! That makes me very happy! :)

Giselle @Tina: The full cover gave me goosebumps! But it's so pretty and perfect. I'm so happy you loved it too but I'm not surprised! :) Did you read Slammed by her?

@Nick: I'm only like 30% in If You Stay. I don't like Mila much she's a bit too naive for my taste. Like she goes "make sure you don't hurt me" and his answer is he will TRY, and she's like Ok! O_o So we'll see how it goes. I'm glad it's not just her POV. I do like his story he's an ass but that's what this story is about so I'm curious.

message 13: by Danielle (Love at First Page) (last edited Apr 22, 2013 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle (Love at First Page) Slammed/Point of Retreat and Easy are all very good. :) Definitely some major swoon going on in those.

In terms of New Adult, 'Flat Out Love' is amazing. 'Wait for You' and 'Charade' are pretty cute, too, though not as good as the others.

Giselle I've heard a lot about Flat Out Love it's been recommended to me so much! I'll have to get a copy! :D

message 15: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi I need to read this. She sounds like my kind of girl! Fabulous review!

Giselle Brandi wrote: "I need to read this. She sounds like my kind of girl! Fabulous review!"

Oh she's great! She talks about sex and relationships so openly it's refreshing. She's not afraid to say what's bothering her even when it's super embarrassing lol. You have to meet her to see what I mean ;)

message 17: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Giselle wrote: "Brandi wrote: "I need to read this. She sounds like my kind of girl! Fabulous review!"

I'll have to put this up higher in my read list. :)

Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination) Giselle wrote: "@Tina: The full cover gave me goosebumps! But it's so pretty and perfect. I'm so happy you loved it too but I'm not surprised! :) Did you read Slammed by her?

@Nick: I'm only like 30% in If You St..."

I wasn't exactly blown away by If You Stay, but I found it a mix between good/OK read. I adored Slammed and Point of Retreat. PoR is one of my top 5 favorite books for sure. Practically not a chapter went by that I didn't bawl my eyes out LOL. I can't wait for This Girl. OH AND EASY, GISELLE, EASY!!!!!!! I've re-read my ecopy a thousand times already and last night I gave my paperback to my Mom. I sat on her bed and just started to remind myself my favorite scenes by going through them and haha, I wanted to re-read the whole book again. It's simply amazing - easy as that :-)

Giselle Siiri wrote: "Giselle wrote: "@Tina: The full cover gave me goosebumps! But it's so pretty and perfect. I'm so happy you loved it too but I'm not surprised! :) Did you read Slammed by her?

@Nick: I'm only like ..."

Eep I'm so excited! I'll be finishing If You Stay today and I'll start Easy after! Seems like some people hate her writing though going by some reviews I've read.

Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination) Hmmm.. Well.. A good sign is that Jenni and I both loved it :D I think her writing is a little more mature and it's not as intense as Hopeless that's for sure, but there's just something so powerful, calming and thoughtful in her words and the message of the book. + it doesn't hurt that Lucas is one of the main characters. That boy is something else!! I really hope you'll enjoy Easy:)

Giselle I also know that book probably had a LOT of changes seeing as it was self pubbed and now it's even published so maybe the reviews I saw were from an earlier shittily edited version too. But me and Jenni usually love the same contemporaries so I'm pretty confident I'll like it!

Raquel Okay, so where is this paperback copy? With this back cover? All the rest I've seen are the plain front cover, and there's no child on the back.

Giselle It was the one she self published. Now it's published by Atria so they may not have kept it I guess.

Ronyell Awesome review Giselle! I really enjoyed this book also!