Richard's Reviews > A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

it was ok
bookshelves: sci-fi

5/10

I seem to struggle with classic sci-fi, the last few have fallen flat for me. I like sci-fi but I felt like I was too sober for this one. I need to have had a road trip with Hunter S. Thompson for a few months beforehand to get into the mindset.

I think there were a lot of interesting ideas on this and the way drugs take a hold on someone's life. But I just didn't enjoy reading it and I guess that's why I read, for enjoyment. It's a good job it was short and I was able to plough through it. Any longer and I'd have been looking at that dreaded DNF shelf with a keen eye.

Some friends of mine really like this and I've read they're reviews with interest as I struggled through what they really enjoyed. I wouldn't be in a big rush to read anymore PKD in the near future but maybe down the line if I'm compelled to try some more classic sci-fi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scanner Darkly.

March 18, 2013 – Shelved
June 13, 2017 –
June 15, 2017 –
June 16, 2017 –
June 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Lynas I agree with you, Richard. I gave up on the book and the film version of this one. However I really like the book/film Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep/Blade Runner.

carol. Haha! "Too sober." I suspect you are right.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) This movie is quite a trip if you ever see it pop up.

Sinead Donnelly Agree with all this, I'm nearing the end of the book and it's a struggle to stay engaged with it.