Lauryn's Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Mar 17, 2013

bookshelves: favorites

Night is an inspiring autobiography by Elie Wiesel. Elie, or Eliezer, was a young, 13-year-old Jewish boy n Hungary during WWII. This story is all about him, and his journey throughout his three years as a part of the Holocaust. He, his parents, and his two sisters, were moved from their home to a ghetto nearby. They were soon transported to a small concentration camp and were split up. Here we really get to learn about the Holocaust from his point of view. Elie tells us about the work they did, the people they met, and the food they ate.
Elie is completely honest in this book which allows the reader to make some sort of connection with his story. He is able to portray the horrors he went through in an almost artistic way. He did not paint every detail, but he was able to tell us his story in a way that opened our eyes and makes us respect those that were forced to go through this terrible ordeal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.

Quotes Lauryn Liked

Elie Wiesel
“I shall always remember that smile. From what world did it come from?”

Elie Wiesel
“We cannot indefinitely avoid depressing subject matter, particularly it it is true, and in the subsequent quarter century the world has had to hear a story it would have preferred not to hear - the story of how a cultured people turned to genocide, and how the rest of the world, also composed of cultured people, remained silent in the face of genocide. (v)”

Elie Wiesel
“I am not so naïve as to believe that this slim volume will change the course of history or shake the conscience of the world. Books no longer have the power they once did. Those who kept silent yesterday will remain silent tomorrow.”