Rachel Sharpe's Reviews > Unlucky Charms

Unlucky Charms by Adam Rex

liked it
bookshelves: drama, fantasy, fast-paced, humor, juv, series, ben-and-rachel-read

One: I read this entire book aloud to my husband over a nine-hour car trip. I have no voice, but we read all 380-some pages. (Did I say we? I mean me.)

Two: He liked it! He really liked the humor of the book, even more so than I did. He's an English major, so he caught a lot of the references that Rex uses.

Three: There's way too much going on here! I had to pause every chapter and ask if he remembered what characters were doing what and where. Granted, he was distracted by driving, but there are a lot of characters in all sorts of different places.

Four: I don't even know how to recommend this to a child. I don't think they'd get the humor or the references. It works as a read aloud because of the humor, but then... it's almost 400 pages. That's a strain on your vocal cords (believe me).

Conclusion: I appreciate books that make my husband laugh, but I'm just not sure that a third grader or even a sixth grader would enjoy this, and unfortunately, that's the target audience. So meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlucky Charms.

Started Reading