Ted's Reviews > Irrational Man: A Study in Existential Philosophy

Irrational Man by William Barrett

bookshelves: existenialism-wide, lit-american, philosophy, read-in-20s, have

This review is about the book by William Barrett, not the 2015 movie by Woody Allen.

Wiki:
Irrational Man: A Study In Existential Philosophy is a 1958 book by philosopher William Barrett, in which Barrett explains the philosophical background of existentialism and provides a discussion of several major existentialist thinkers, including Søren Kierkegaard, Friedrich Nietzsche, Martin Heidegger, and Jean-Paul Sartre. Irrational Man helped to introduce existentialism to the English speaking world and has been identified as one of the most useful books that discuss the subject, but Barrett has also been criticized for endorsing irrationality and for giving a distorted and misleading account of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

Well I know I read a good part of this book, there's a fair amount of underlining in it. The underlining was done ~45 years ago. And the cover is very cool (Giacometti's Tall Walking Figure).

I've also used the index to help me put books on my "existentialism-wide" shelf.

So it rates four stars on those facts alone I think.

Perhaps someday I'll read it again, I know I'd like to.

And perhaps then I'll write a real review.

Or perhaps I'll write a real review without reading it again?

No No No ... I won't do that.

Because of the strikeouts I now give it five stars.

Listen, the book is a great read if you can get hold of it. Forget that this review tells you little about it. (If Woody Allen made a movie with the same name, you know the book is great. Witness "War and Peace" ... well, actually called "Love and Death", but close enough no?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irrational Man.

Finished Reading
March 16, 2013 – Shelved
March 16, 2013 – Shelved as: existenialism-wide
March 16, 2013 – Shelved as: lit-american
March 16, 2013 – Shelved as: philosophy
March 16, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-20s
August 24, 2013 – Shelved as: have

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted I can see it over my right shoulder, it's beckoning to me. But so many other books and reviews are too. I do have it on a list of books to review, I will put it on my list of books to read also. We'll see what happens!? I guess. ;)

message 2: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Outstanding review, Ted! :)

message 3: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Alejandro wrote: "Outstanding review, Ted! :)"

message 4: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ted wrote: "Alejandro wrote: "Outstanding review, Ted! :)"

? Well, Alejandro, it is outstandingly short, which is always good for fast-living guys and gals, right?! 8)"

Sometimes a few words are more relevant than a 100 pages essay ;)

message 5: by Glenn (last edited Apr 25, 2015 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenn Russell Thanks, Ted. I've always enjoyed this book, especially the chapter on existentialism and art.

message 6: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Glenn wrote: "Thanks, Ted. I've always enjoyed this book, especially the chapter on existentialism and art."

It's been so long since I've read it, Glenn, I don't remember much about that chapter. (If I even did read that one.) I'll have to check it out ... getting it down from the shelf to the reading table now ... 8)

message 7: by Elham (new) - added it

Elham Thanks for this intriguing review, Ted. I found myself another existential author!

message 8: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Elham wrote: "Thanks for this intriguing review, Ted. I found myself another existential author!"

Thanks yourself, Elham. I hoped you'd see it when I added something to the review today.