Tess's Reviews > Something Wicked This Way Comes

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Aug 16, 2017

bookshelves: classic-literature, dark
Read from July 05 to August 15, 2017

While this is definitely (obviously) Bradbury, it's like Bradbury high on Lovecraft: chock full of grotesque descriptions and repeated hints at something darker under the surface. Since I love both authors, it was a pleasant surprise. The central theme that I took away, of using pure joy to combat the temptation of discontentedness / FOMO that threatens to tear our lives apart, was supremely satisfying and rang very true to me.

Possibly my favorite part was the little afterword at the end, where Bradbury describes the inspiration for the book. Amazing.

I'm trying not to penalize the actual content for this, but the Audible audiobook I listened to just had the absolute worst narrator. He did all the voices in this over-dramatic falsetto that was incredibly distracting, and made gents on the cusp of 13 sound like they were 4. And I should know, because I'm around 4-year-olds all the time. So yeah, steer clear of that audiobook. 😬

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Wicked This Way Comes.

08/16 marked as: to-read