Kate Loveday's Reviews > Barbed Wire And Roses

Barbed Wire And Roses by Peter Yeldham

This book drew me in. Peter Yeldham's characters are alive and the story held me to the end. Set in both WW1 and the present, it is the story of Stephen, a young man who joins up full of fervour and excitement at being part of an adventure that everyone thinks will be 'over by Christmas'. He marries and leaves behind his wife of three days and goes to fight in Europe. The book describes the bloody carnage of the trenches and his slow disillusionment with how the war is handled, which he records in his precious diary, and finally in a notebook. His family are advised that he has been killed, but no-one knows how.

His grandson Patrick decides to try and trace Stephen's last days and solve the mystery of his death, with the aid of the diary, which comes into his possession. As he is about to visit England for an interview, he takes extra time to go to France and visit the old battle grounds. What he slowly pieces together is an intriguing and totally absorbing tale of the facts of Stephen's life, which is not without its joy - and death. Along the way Patrick discovers many similarities between his grandfather and himself, and discovers more about himself.

The notes say this book is based on a true story and I can well believe it. I thoroughly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barbed Wire And Roses.

March 16, 2013 – Started Reading