Carolyn's Reviews > The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam

The Land I Lost by Huynh Quang Nhuong

liked it
bookshelves: home-school

This middle schoolers book is a true account of a boy's childhood in Vietnam. His very poor family lives in a hamlet with other families and each day is one of pure survival. The sweet story of a pet water buffalo named Tank, stories of monkeys, snakes, fish, and otters, I learned some exquisitely interesting things I had never even heard of.

Beware as there are two stories in particular that might not be suitable for sensitive children. A monkey steals a hatchet and butchers a sleeping two-year-old child, for instance. I read it to my fifth-grader and we talked about it. A good discussion on wild animals and man's historic attempt to tame them. (There are several other Instances of horrific deaths as well.)

I am glad I read this book. The author has an Ernest Hemingway quality of speaking volumes in just a few words. I would recommend this book to a Junior High age boy who likes animals and adventure. It is short and easy to read. The story ends with the arrival of the French and Ho Chi Minh's troops near the boy's own hamlet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land I Lost.

March 15, 2013 – Started Reading