Angela's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

U 50x66

bookshelves: children-s-lit-2013

Audience: This book is primarily for grade K-3. This book might be "better" understood from the older students as the pictures relate to the words in a deeper way.

Appeal: This book is appealing because it is an easier read (not meaning) because of the short words and large font. The pictures are also inviting because of the large pictures of people's faces, making the readers want to know what is going on.

Application: I would use this in my classroom to talk about Langston Hughe's poem and the meaning behind his poem that is illustrated throughout this book. This would be used to talk about the celebration of equality.

Awards: Coretta Scott King Awards 2010

Copyright: Text-2009 by Langston Hughes, Photographs-2009 by Charles R. Smith Jr.

School Library Journal
( February 01, 2009; 9781416935407 )
K Up-Smith's knack for pairing poetry and photography is well documented in books such as Hoop Queens (Candlewick, 2003) and Rudyard Kipling's If (S & S, 2006). Here, his artful images engage in a lyrical and lively dance with Langston Hughes's brief ode to black beauty. Dramatic sepia portraits of African Americans-ranging from a cherubic, chubby-cheeked toddler to a graying elder whose face is etched with lines-are bathed in shadows, which melt into black backgrounds. The 33 words are printed in an elegant font in varying sizes as emphasis dictates. In order to maximize the effect of the page turn and allow time for meaning to be absorbed, the short phrases and their respective visual narratives often spill over more than a spread. The conclusion offers a montage of faces created with varying exposures, a decision that provides a light-filled aura and the irregularities that suggest historical prints. A note from Smith describes his approach to the 1923 poem. This celebration of the particular and universal will draw a wide audience: storytime participants; students of poetry, photography, and cultural studies; seniors; families. A timely and timeless offering.-Wendy Lukehart, Washington DC Public Library (c) Copyright 2010. Library Journals LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Media Source, Inc. No redistribution permitted.

I agree with the School Library Journal Review and like how they explained that this book gave a "brief ode to black beauty". The way the book is set up allows for the reader to take time and think about what the message is trying to portray before turning to the next page.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading