Erin's Reviews > Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

bookshelves: series

A walk down memory lane. Although I have a whole bunch of new books to read, I felt like grabbing a childhood favorite from my stacks tonight. The first book in the "Little House" series introduces readers to Laura Ingalls, her Ma &Pa, and sisters, Mary and Carrie living in their log home in the "big woods" of Wisconsin.

The thirteen chapters in this book serve as vignettes of what life was like for settler families, the roles and responsibilities of each family member, the customs and teachings that had such an impact on a little girl and shape her to be a grown woman. I always felt a connection to Laura Ingalls right down to her brown hair. Intertwined with these chapters are stories of several family members misadventures that provide chuckles and lessons from beginning to end.

It would be terrible for me to overlook the wonderful illustrations from Garth Williams that accompany the author's text. I dare say that without them as child of 9 (the age of my "discovery "), the story might not have had as much impact.

I would definitely recommend to the young and young at heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House in the Big Woods.

March 15, 2013 – Shelved
May 22, 2017 – Started Reading
May 22, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 30, 2018 – Shelved as: series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mackey I think I moved to the mid-west just because of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. Thanks for the great review.