Amber's Reviews > Oathtaker

Oathtaker by Patricia Reding

Read 2 times

We are drawn into a world where those who swear to protect the lives of a small group of people called Select are known as Oathtakers. They take their job with the utmost sincerity and gravity in light of all that their vows entail. An Oathtaker who reneges on their vow is seen as disgraced, so when a new Oathtaker named Mara stumbles upon her first charge she is in no way prepared for how it would completely change her life and the consequences she will face as a result of answering the call.

While Mara is armed with her formidable Oathtaker’s blade to aid her in her journey, she soon learns how lacking her store of weapons are when she discovers that her charge is more special than she could ever have imagined. Thankfully, with this added burden and responsibility, Mara is mercifully granted all of the resources needed to fulfill her task. Those resources serve to both lighten her burden as well as to test her resolve in keeping her vow.

I was immediately drawn in by the character of Mara because she knew she would be given the strength to step out and fulfill her arduous and wonderful task, but she lacked the courage at first. I find myself at times lacking the courage to step up and take what I know is mine out of fear of failure. Mara’s lack of self-confidence is found in my own heart, but I am hopeful that I will learn to develop the same confidence and courage that Mara discovered had lived within her own heart all along.

Patricia Reding has created a wonderfully, enjoyable story filled with a spectacular array of characters that are so rich and vivid that you will wonder if you can still hear them talking to you even after you have finished reading this book. I hope that your heart will be just as captivated as mine was as you partake in this thrilling journey. Patricia Reding is a marvelous new author that you simply have to discover for yourself!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oathtaker.

Finished Reading
March 15, 2013 – Shelved
May 7, 2013 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
May 9, 2013 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
May 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 28, 2014 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
June 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Amber The Oathtaker is a beautiful and fantastic epic adventure filled with all the things I love most – a captivating storyline, edge-of-your-seat suspense, thought-provoking characters, and never-ending twists and turns. I would enthusiastically recommend this story to fans of Lord of the Rings. They would truly appreciate all of the subtleties of the plot, the richness of the characters, and the complexity of the overall story itself. Honestly, anyone who enjoys such hearty stories would find this book truly compelling and extremely satisfying.

message 2: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia Reding Thank you, thank you, thank you, Amber!