Barb Watson's Reviews > Tortured for Christ N/E

Tortured for Christ N/E by Richard Wurmbrand

May 15, 2009

Read in May, 2009

ONE MAN WHO DARED TO STAND UP

Months of solitary confinement, years of periodic physical torture, constant suffering from hunger and cold, the anguish of brain-washing and mental cruelty--these are the experiences of a Romanian pastor during his fourteen years in Communist prisons. I did not know what the word 'suffering' truly meant before. This awakened something in my soul.
His crime, like that of thousands of others, was his fervent belief in Jesus Christ and his public witness concerning that faith. Made me ashamed of my life of ease and awakened in me a desire to be more bold in my witness.
Meeting in homes, in basements, and in woods--sometimes daring to preach in public on street corners--these faithful souls persisted in their Christian witness knowing full well the ultimate cost of their actions. Then I ask myself: "what witnessing have I done to elicit any kind of torture?
This is their story--a classic account of courage, tenacious faith, and unbelievable endurance. This history of the Underground Church reflects the continuing struggle in many parts of the world today.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tortured for Christ N/E.

message 1: by Circlekland (new)

Circlekland Hi Barb. Kathleen Schmidt here. Where did you get this book? I'd like to read it. Thanks

Barb Watson Circlekland wrote: "Hi Barb. Kathleen Schmidt here. Where did you get this book? I'd like to read it. Thanks"

Kathleen! HI!! I got it free from Voice of the Martyrs. I'll try to get one for you or loan you mine. I'm glad you're on here. I'm on gmail, send me your address! Wow!

message 3: by Circlekland (new)

Circlekland Hi Barb. circlekland@yahoo.com