Emilious Tarr's Reviews > Poisoned Pawn

Poisoned Pawn by Jaleta Clegg

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rollicking Good Space Opera

Publisher’s synopsis: Dace and Jasyn have everything they ever wanted - their own trading ship and freedom. Their only issue, regulations require a second pilot and the only one available on Viya Station is a little too perfect for Dace's comfort. But his credentials check out and everything seems fine. Until Dace disappears and Jasyn learns the truth.

Disclaimer: I received this book through Librarything's Early Reviewers Program.

Poisoned Pawn is the third book in the “Fall of the Altairan Empire” series. Jaleta Clegg’s clean, descriptive prose keeps the story flowing, and entertaining characters make for an easy read, the sort of rollicking space opera that is hard to put down. Although I think the book would have been better had I read the previous two books in the series, I enjoyed it, finishing most of it in a single sitting.

As Dace and Jayson try to recover from the events of the previous books, they run into an almost comical series of mishaps that leads them into a series of Machiavellian plots by the good guys as well as the bad. One of my favorite characters in the book is “Commander” Lowell, his lot is to be to person who must do bad on behalf of good. The main characters are believable and engaging, although the evil mastermind was a little heavy on the evil and light on the mind for my tastes
I understand the author is writing a series, and that this book needs to help set the premise for the next, but in the end I was left feeling unsatisfied with the book`s resolution. I cannot really explain why without spoiling the ending, but happy ever after it is not. I suppose it does serve its purpose, I will be watching for the next installment to see what happens to the protagonists.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poisoned Pawn.

Started Reading