Gabic Reads's Reviews > Twilight

Mar 14, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: reviewed-2013

Original review on Gabic Reads

Grab your pitchforks and some friends, we're going hunting tonight. No, not for vampires. For Stephenie Meyer. I am seriously astounded at how this became a New York Time bestseller. There is no plot, suspense, or action in the first seventy-five percent of the book. Also, even though everybody knows going in that Edward is vampire, there should still be some suspense in Bella trying to figure out his species. But there is none! She figures it out almost immediately.

And don't get me started on Bella. First, she self-exiles herself to Forks, Washington, to live with her father, yet she acts like she is going to be tortured when she arrives. And then her father is trying to have a relationship with her and she shuts him down at every turn. She is always crying, complaining, or whining. And she cries over small things, like Edward not being at school, but she doesn't over things that she would have a legitimate excuse for crying, like almost being hit by a van or almost being raped. From the moment she sees Edward in the lunch room, Bella is obsessed with him. She gets upset when he's not at school, even though he was a complete jerk to her. In her own words (p67):

I was consumed by the mystery that Edward presented. And more than a little obsessed with Edward himself.

And she sees no problem with that, even claiming to love him. Honey, that's lust and a lack of self-worth, not love. She even makes herself sound like a stalker (p69)

No one else was as aware of Edward as I always was. No one else watched him the way I did.

Bella becomes angry and depressed when Edward won't tell her what he really is, because she knows he's not human. She's only known him for a month or two at this point. AND they've rarely spoken. So, why would he tell her? They're not even friends, let alone close enough for him to tell her about his undeadness. Bella also has major self-esteem issues, even though almost every guy in town falls for the minute they see her. And when she returns to Phoenix to escape James, a vampire set on eating her, she becomes a vegetable. Admittedly, she does do a courageous thing in trying to save her mother, thinking that James is going to harm her, but then she is glad that she's going to die. Seriously?? Who would be glad to die a painful death at thee hands of a vampire? Bella (unfortunately) survives, though. And once again I hate her as she becomes a needy child while at the hospital.

I'm pretty sure Edward is bi-polar. That or he's on his period because I couldn't keep up with the mood swings. One minute he's telling Bella to stay away from him, that's it's too dangerous for them to be friends, the next he's offering her a ride to Seattle and asking her to sit with him at lunch. He's obsessed with Bella and is extremely over protective. (p328)

"I don't want you to think I'm naturally a tyrant."

Too late.

Edward and Bella's relationship isn't built on love, it's built on lust and obsession. Take these quotes for example: (P174)

"I followed you to Port Angeles," he admitted . . . I wondered if it should bother me that he was following me; instead, I felt a strange surge of pleasure.

Of course it should bother you that he's following you! Talk about obsessive. I don't understand what she sees in him! And then there's this quote: (p292)

"You spied on me?" But somehow I couldn't infuse my voice with proper outrage. I was flattered.

She's flattered that Edward is STALKING her?!?!?! WHAT?!?! "I'm flattered to have a stalker," said no sane person ever. And Edward basically tells her throughout the book that all he wants to do is kill her. That's all he thinks about. He wants to kill her. And she doesn't care because she's in love with him.

I do have to say that the end (and only) fight scene was exciting and I did enjoy that. But does that really count when the rest of the book was despicable?

Please, please, spare yourself and don't read this book. It's completely horrendous and in the words of Stephen King, "Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." So go grab a Harry Potter book, and just burn Twilight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

March 14, 2013 – Started Reading
March 14, 2013 – Shelved
March 15, 2013 –
page 32
6.43% "I want to strangle Bella. >:("
page 79
15.86% "bangs book against head"
page 93
18.67% ""I stared at him, wondering why I didn't feel afraid." Ummmm, maybe because you're an idiot and have no sense of self-protection????"
page 169
page 184
36.95% "There is no suspense or storyline whatsoever at this point. We've already figured out what Edward is, now where's the action??"
March 17, 2013 –
page 302
March 17, 2013 –
page 302
60.64% "The only thing that is intriguing in this book so far is Alice's background. Please tell me more."
March 18, 2013 –
page 405
81.33% "Finally, some action."
March 18, 2013 – Finished Reading