Aleshia (Mad Scibrarian)'s Reviews > Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed, and the Underconnected

Networking for People Who Hate Networking by Devora Zack

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2017

I started this book with "YES! This is totally me! I am so excited to learn how to finally network like all those outgoing people!" Each of the chapters even started this way. After that though, the content did not expand my networking skills at all. I've come to realize from reading this book that I know myself very, very well. I understand how I think as an introvert (ie. A LOT of thinking before speaking) and how I function in a working environment. I know I need to research and prepare ahead of time because I take awhile to process things. I don't think by speaking like extroverts do. I also prefer to make a few contacts and give myself breaks inbetween events to not wear myself out. However, the guidance and advice tells me to do these types of things for networking events, which I already do because I naturally know that in order for me to do it well I must act on my strengths. Now, not all introverts may realize this and may benefit from reading this book, but since I've already been through some networking situations and sorted out these tips for myself, this just didn't add anything to help me. I need more help along the lines of actually dealing with social interactions or social anxiety, and this book doesn't do that really. All it really did help me was realize that there are other people who hate networking just as much as I do.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Networking for People Who Hate Networking.

March 14, 2013 – Shelved