Kathy's Reviews > The Actor and the Housewife

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

May 14, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2010, read-in-2016, read-more-than-once
Read from February 10, 2010 to July 01, 2016

Originally read in February 2010. Reread July 2016.

Loved it just as much the 2nd time around. I get why this book isn't for everyone but it works for me. I love books that make me "feel". I love books that make me think. I love characters and situations I can relate to. I love books that stay with me. This one did all that and more.

Original Review -

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I laughed, I cried, I laughed again. I can't remember the last book where I actually laughed out loud as many times as I did reading this book. Shannon Hale is hilarious. I love the way she writes.
It's a long book. At least it took me forever to read it. I typically read about a page a minute but these pages were bigger than normal or had more words per page or something that made this book take me around 10 hours to read. Like I had 10 hours to spare this week on a 300 page book?
I also can't remember the last book that I stayed awake to the wee hours of the night to finish. This one had me hooked and I wanted to finish it.
I do have an issue with the premise of this book.
LDS woman in love with her husband but has a male best friend.
Not a good idea!
I wasn't sure where this book was going to head early on and was a little worried but I was ok with the way the story went. Hale addressed all the issues of Becky having a male friend and made it ok for her (not for me) but ok enough for me to buy into this book.
I was a little annoyed with the ending but as I thought about it more I decided I actually liked the twists at the end of the book and it was the only way it could end.
Although published by Bloomsbury this book has LDS fiction elements to it. I wonder what a non-LDS audience thinks of this book?

Source: Purchased
Content: Some mild language and sexual innuendo/humor, not squeaky clean but nothing too over the top.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Actor and the Housewife.

06/29/2016 marked as: read
06/29/2016 marked as: currently-reading
07/01/2016 marked as: read

Heather I LOOOOOOVED it as well!

Mary Ann I loved this book, too. My favorite by Shannon Hale. I laughed. I cried. It was wonderful.