Ferdy's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4596358
Spoilers

I was going to give this one star because the ending was ridiculous, actually the whole book was ridiculous… But because I'm really nice, I decided to add an extra star. Your welcome, Lauren Oliver.

For those who haven't read Requiem. Here's a breakdown:

Lena: Alex no dead. What I do? It be painful.

Alex: I no dead Lena. You be evul whore. Why you no grieve forever when you be thinking I being dead? I never loving you! I always hating you now!

Julian: Huh?

Lena: Alex no wuv me. Me so sad. I know… I using the Julian, making the Alex jealous. That teach him to no love me.

Alex: I like new girl now. It okay I move on with new person but Lena whore for moving on. It no matter she thought I be dead. It no matter at all.

Lena: I hate new girl. I act like bitch to everyone because Alex not wanting me. Me being so sad.

Julian: Huh?

Alex: I run away. I liking the drama. It making me the sexier.

Lena: Oh noes! Alex go again. I be so in loving with him. It okay. I still be having the Julian, he be being my backup.

Julian: Huh?

Lena: I guess I be helping everyone fight bad guys because I being bwave. Why my life so hard? Oh I forgotted my cousin I abandon-did. I be going save her now.

Alex: Lena, I be loving you now. You be loving me?

Lena: I be loving you but also be loving the Julian. I go now help everyone fight bad guys.

Alex: Okay then, I be seeing you.

Lena: Bye bye.

Julian: Huh?

The end.


Random notes/thoughts:

-In the first half Lena and the rest of the Invalids did nothing — they just plodded along in the Wilds arguing about what to do next. All they ended up doing was walking from one place to the next — it was boring. There was more action in the second half when Lena/the Invalids and the Resistance start to fight back — that was a bit more interesting.

-Lena and Hana both took turns narrating. I did find their voices quite similar, which shouldn't have been the case 1. Because they were obviously two different characters and 2. Because Hana had the operation to more or less make her emotionless — so either Hana had too much emotion or Lena just had a robotic POV. Even though they sounded similar, Hana was more likeable.
I didn't see what Hana's POV added to the overall story — it was just her monologuing about random stuff, getting ready for her wedding and being suspicious of her soon to be husband. It wasn't really needed — it didn't affect Lena's story or the big showdown at the end.

-Not enough Lena/Alex scenes.

-Lena was immensely unlikeable. She was vile — she's easily one of my most hated YA heroines ever. All she did was whine, feel sorry for herself and bitch about everyone and everything. She treated Julian awfully — if he was being nice to her she would complain, if he wasn't constantly up her arse she'd complain, if he volunteered to do something risky to prove himself she'd complain and if he helped the group she'd complain. She was a bitch.
She was completely pathetic and petty when it came to Alex. Instead of fighting for him, she did nothing but whine about him not loving her. And then she'd use Julian to make him jealous — she was awful.
She was a total cow to Coral - I wouldn't have minded her vile attitude if Coral had actually done something to deserve it but she hadn't.

-I hated Alex too. I could get why he was angry but he still treated Lena like rubbish. She genuinely thought Alex was dead, that's the only reason she moved on. What did he want her to do, grieve for him for the rest of her life? It's obvious that she would never have been with Julian if she suspected he was alive. I found it dumb that he was moaning about Lena moving on yet he had no problem moving on with Coral straight away. He was a hypocrite.

-The only characters that were likeable in the ridiculous love square were Julian and Coral - Lena and Alex selfishly used them so they could play games with each other.

-The reunion between Lena and Annabel was rubbish. I wanted tears, pain, anger and years of bitterness but all I got was a small hissy fit and then nothing. They literally talked for a couple of minutes and then became best friends. I expected Lena to be angry for a long while but she got over her anger as soon as her mum gave her some half arse, lame non-explanation for abandoning her/not contacting her sooner.

-The ending was lame. It literally stopped in a middle of a scene. There was no closure or answers.

-Did Raven die? What was the point of making Raven pregnant in her novella when it wasn't bought up or even hinted at in Requiem. It seemed like the only reason Lauren Oliver made her pregnant was so her death could be tragic. Ugh.

-The lame love triangle didn't have a satisfying conclusion. Sure, Lena said she loved Alex more than Julian but does that mean she dumped Julian for Alex? I wanted to see a break up scene and a proper reunion scene.

-What happened to Rachel? Why didn't Annabel talk about helping Rachel? I know Rachel was cured but why would Annabel still abandon her and not think about her. It was weird. Annabel was a bitch — she just seemed to write off her daughters so she could play hero.

-What happened to Jenny and Lena's aunt and uncle?

-Was the rest of the world like America?

-Did the Invalids and Resistance manage to take over Portland? Or were they beaten? What happened in the other cities?

-What happened to Hana? Did her treatment fail? Does she just carry on walking around in her wedding dress for the rest of her life?

-What happened to Julian? Wasn't he meant to be dying or something? If Lena dumps him, how does he cope?

Just WTF. Either Lauren Oliver couldn't be bothered or she was trying to make the ending high brow and profound or some rubbish. She should have realised that she's writing books that revolve around lame world building, a crappy plot and teenage angst… Not to mention the fact that at least half of her readers were only reading for the love triangle. She's not writing some thought provoking literary masterpiece that's left open ended and mysterious because it suits the theme of book… Nope, she's writing a YA series that's main focus is arguably the love triangle. The least she could have done was give a satisfying resolution to the Alex/Lean/Julian drama. For shame, Lauren Oliver. For shame.
39 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

March 14, 2013 – Started Reading
March 14, 2013 – Shelved
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: blah
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: dark-tortured-broody-hero
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: insufferable-mary-sue-heroine
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: boring
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: blah-romance
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: boring-main-characters
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: cringey-romance
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: cringey
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: boring-crap-hero
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: cheesy
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: why-me
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: die-book-die
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: disappointing
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: douchery-afoot
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: dystopian
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: fuck-off
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: hero-dick-to-heroine
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: kill-me
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: life-is-hard
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: love-triangle
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: meh
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: rubbish
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: pointless
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: rubbish-worldbuilding
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: teens-saving-the-world
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: whiny-annoying-blah-heroine
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: wtf
March 14, 2013 – Shelved as: wtfery
March 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky I'm definitely getting the impression that Oliver bit off more than she could chew with this trilogy. Either she tried to make everything too deep and got overwhelmed, or she and her publisher couldn't agree on the focus of the series, but everything I'm hearing about this book makes it sound pretty half-assed for a conclusion. Too bad, because Pandemonium had some promise.


message 2: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac I don't mind a few loose threads -- keywords being "a few." This sounds like way too many, especially in terms of resolutions aimed at the target audience. Why does everyone love this series so much? o_O


message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Hubbard BAHAHAHAHA. This is almost as good as the "Wuv" Review. Another series I will not be getting, but one I will enjoy from afar with this review. Thank you. XD


Ferdy Serena wrote: "I love when you do caveman dialogue! :P"

Caveman dialogue is wonderfully beautiful — in that it's able to so perfectly encompass not just my disgust but also all the WTFery surrounding the characters and the book.
It is a powerful tool and I do my utmost to use it wisely:P

Becky wrote: "I'm definitely getting the impression that Oliver bit off more than she could chew with this trilogy. Either she tried to make everything too deep and got overwhelmed, or she and her publisher coul..."

I enjoyed Pandemonium the most… there was definitely some direction in that book but in Requiem, things were just all over the place. I didn't need to be told every little conclusion but I would have liked some of the plot arcs to have been resolved. I don't know what they were thinking with this rubbish?!

Sarah wrote: "I don't mind a few loose threads -- keywords being "a few." This sounds like way too many, especially in terms of resolutions aimed at the target audience. Why does everyone love this series so m..."

I admit that even though I wasn't a fan of the series, I did find it strangely addictive… I think it was just because I was curious about the love triangle.
I can't believe how Lauren Oliver ended the series… maybe she left it so open ended because of the tv series? IDK, I think she let down a lot of fans and I think she knew she would and just didn't care.

Alyssa wrote: "BAHAHAHAHA. This is almost as good as the "Wuv" Review. Another series I will not be getting, but one I will enjoy from afar with this review. Thank you. XD"

Thanks. If I helped one person to avoid this series, then I've done my job well:D


Feminista Great review! Succinctly put.

Such a disastrous ending to what used to be a good series. I hated how fickle the characters were with their love.


Ferdy NabK wrote: "Great review! Succinctly put.

Such a disastrous ending to what used to be a good series. I hated how fickle the characters were with their love."


Thanks :)

I wasn't fond of the first two books but I was still expecting A LOT more for this one. The ending was rubbish.


Feminista I didn't even REALISE it ended. It was so abrupt. I was like.. wth happened here?!?!


Ferdy NabK wrote: "I didn't even REALISE it ended. It was so abrupt. I was like.. wth happened here?!?!"

Bwahaha.. It was such dumb ending. I thought a chapter ot two was missing. I bet the author left ot open ended because it was becoming a tv show! LOL, it wasn't even picked up by a network!!


Feminista Ferdy wrote: "NabK wrote: "I didn't even REALISE it ended. It was so abrupt. I was like.. wth happened here?!?!"

Bwahaha.. It was such dumb ending. I thought a chapter ot two was missing. I bet the author left ..."


What really? Didn't know this was getting made into a TV show..


Ferdy Yea, they made a pilot with Emma Roberts but it was announced a few days ago that the network didn't want it. So yea, we're left with the rubbish ending in the third book.


message 11: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky Hmm, that might explain the non-ending ending. Stupid decision on the author's part.


message 12: by Roksana (last edited Aug 19, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Roksana Becky wrote: "Hmm, that might explain the non-ending ending. Stupid decision on the author's part."

Another honest review ferdy!
I hate love triangles..they are driving me nuts! Its like the romance is second hand due to another person intervening in to the main leads! And I despite the heroin using another person as a back up NO the whole triangle theme is not my cup of tea..i try to stay away from books like that.. i will not be reading this one...and to think it received such a high ratings?


Ferdy Roksana wrote: "Becky wrote: "Hmm, that might explain the non-ending ending. Stupid decision on the author's part."

Another honest review ferdy!
I hate love triangles..they are driving me nuts! Its like the roma..."


Thanks :)
I don't mind a good love triangle but most are rubbish. I don't why o many bad book have high ratings.. it boggles the mind.


message 14: by Roksana (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Roksana wrote: "Becky wrote: "Hmm, that might explain the non-ending ending. Stupid decision on the author's part."

Another honest review ferdy!
I hate love triangles..they are driving me nuts! I..."


At least we are honest with our reviews...majority of the high ratings are the friend's of the authors.. D


message 15: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac Ferdy wrote: "I don't mind a good love triangle but most are rubbish. I don't why o many bad book have high ratings.. it boggles the mind. "

Agreed. A good love triangle can be really effective for drama, but most of these new ones are rubbish (as Ferdy says ;)). A good triangle requires effort in 1) making BOTH heroes appealing & deep enough that they have an equal chance at the girl, & 2) a girl who's worth fighting for. Needless to say...these are both somewhat lacking in many books. *rolls eyes*


message 16: by Roksana (new)

Roksana Sarah wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I don't mind a good love triangle but most are rubbish. I don't why o many bad book have high ratings.. it boggles the mind. "

Agreed. A good love triangle can be really effective f..."


Agree Sarah... most of the books with triangle I have come across are not appealing at all! instead the characters using each other to hurt one another..are not even being honest about the OW or OM..if the characters have qualities and are worth fighting for then YES i would invest myself..but so far I have not been lucky enough to read it!


message 17: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac It would help if more authors knew how to write an appealing bad boy. It's a lost art, methinks. :P


message 18: by Ferdy (last edited Aug 25, 2013 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ferdy Roksana wrote: ".if the characters have qualities and are worth fighting for then YES i would invest myself..but so far I have not been lucky enough to read it! "

If I ever find a book like that, I'll let you know :D
In the meantime we'll have to make do withe boring heroines, lame heroes, and contrived drama.

Sarah wrote: "It would help if more authors knew how to write an appealing bad boy. It's a lost art, methinks. :P"

It is. Most authors think mansluts who act hot and cold equals a bad boy. They don't.

Sarah wrote: "A good triangle requires effort in 1) making BOTH heroes appealing & deep enough that they have an equal chance at the girl, & 2) a girl who's worth fighting for. "

Now that would be a good love triangle. Maybe authors are afraid to write a heroine who is truly torn because pathetic fangirls will start calling the heroine a slut or something??
I've seen loads of reviews were everyone calls the virgin heroine a slut because she has two love interests. It's ridiculous.


message 19: by Roksana (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Roksana wrote: ".if the characters have qualities and are worth fighting for then YES i would invest myself..but so far I have not been lucky enough to read it! "

If I ever find a book like that, ..."


Yeah i know, the authors are making them so innocent but the guys are the worst debouches...I prefer the women and the guy experience...


Ferdy Roksana wrote: "Yeah i know, the authors are making them so innocent but the guys are the worst debouches...I prefer the women and the guy experience... "

Yea, I prefer the hero/heroine to have the same experience. I don't know why authors and some readers are so obsessed with virgin heroines with mansluts - it's cringey.


message 21: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac Ferdy wrote: "I've seen loads of reviews were everyone calls the virgin heroine a slut because she has two love interests. It's ridiculous."

W.T.F?!

Seriously, that's just stupid. *headdesk*

Also:

It is. Most authors think mansluts who act hot and cold equals a bad boy. They don't.

We need to print this on a memo & email it to every single author of PNR/YA/NA that's not on an already approved list.


message 22: by Roksana (last edited Aug 26, 2013 12:44PM) (new)

Roksana Sarah wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I've seen loads of reviews were everyone calls the virgin heroine a slut because she has two love interests. It's ridiculous."

W.T.F?!

Seriously, that's just stupid. *headdesk*

Al..."


I wish the authors could listen! We end up reading those ass-holes screwing every moving skirt and stupid heroin with no brain a back bone and without respect!
Of course i do like alpha male but the heroes these days are utter rubbish ZERO qualities...like a decent guy who have sex twice a year and actually look at the girl's eyes and not her boobs first is not considered good boyfriend material anymore!


Ferdy Sarah wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I've seen loads of reviews were everyone calls the virgin heroine a slut because she has two love interests. It's ridiculous."

W.T.F?!

Seriously, that's just stupid. *headdesk*"


It's so daft! I'm shocked at how much female hate goes on with some readers when heroines don't worship the ground the hero walks on.
I've seen loads of reviews for a book (I think it's called Stolen) where the sixteen year old heroine is kidnapped by the 10 something year old male lead, and the reviewers are moaning because the heroine was to mean to her psycho kidnapper. WTF?! They wanted her to drop her knickers and be glad that she was kidnapped and torn away from her family. So fucked up.

We need to print this on a memo & email it to every single author of PNR/YA/NA that's not on an already approved list.

They still wouldn't learn their lesson :(


message 24: by Roksana (last edited Aug 26, 2013 12:56PM) (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I've seen loads of reviews were everyone calls the virgin heroine a slut because she has two love interests. It's ridiculous."

W.T.F?!

Seriously, that's just stupid. ..."


Glad we are on the same page :D

I think i have heard this book...the things in this book crosses the line for me when romance is concerned ..when there is crime and violence involved that in real life you go to jell for that..i will not be glamorizing it...women suffer from abuse and it destroys their and their families life's its not suppose to be romantic!


Ferdy Roksana wrote: "the things in this book crosses the line for me when romance is concerned ..when there is crime and violence involved that in real life you go to jell for that..i will not be glamorizing it...women suffer from abuse and it destroys their and their families life's its not suppose to be romantic! "

Yea, it makes me sick when abuse, slavery, rape and kidnapping is glamorised. I hate all the fangirls that squee at fucked up heroes degrading, abusing and demeaning the heroines. Ugh.


message 26: by Roksana (last edited Aug 27, 2013 02:00PM) (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Roksana wrote: "the things in this book crosses the line for me when romance is concerned ..when there is crime and violence involved that in real life you go to jell for that..i will not be glamor..."

I am happens to be a member of Parliamentarian Human Trafficking Foundation against trafficking/slavery/forced labour.. http://www.humantraffickingfoundation...

and I can see your point also...I read these books not just for enjoyment but to observe the level of violence that authors used..(My Master diseration is abour trafficking/violence/slavery) its getting more acceptable to read a book with control and rape and seeing it as a fantasy and not abuse...50 Shades of Gray was accused by the media and Journal of Women's Health as a potentially harmful and distorted version of the sexual practice....Those fans have no idea what real abuse is all about..they live in the fantasy that these books represent..:D


Ferdy Those fans have no idea what real abuse is all about..they live in the fantasy that these books represent..:D

I agree, if they were ever subjected to that maybe then they would realise how insulting those books are. There's nothing sexy about human trafficking. And all the 'romance' books about them just diminish the victims.

It's so depressing reading real life victims of human trafficking :(


message 28: by Roksana (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Those fans have no idea what real abuse is all about..they live in the fantasy that these books represent..:D

I agree, if they were ever subjected to that maybe then they would realise how insult..."


yeah Ferdy, We live in a bobble and social consciousness is so vital to recognize that..definitely the glamorizing books liken 50 Shades...are not helping...I am so passionate about the victims...You know people don't realize how much they would achieve..as fundamental human rights was not a free gift..it was fought by the ancestors and feminine movement during Victorian era..and because of them we can enjoy quality... my escapism is reading, but as you can see too much debauchery and lack of respect among the women. Its an insult for the victims of stalking, violence to read this type of romance book and then see the reviewers praise following 5 star rating! :D


Ferdy Roksana wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "Those fans have no idea what real abuse is all about..they live in the fantasy that these books represent..:D

I agree, if they were ever subjected to that maybe then they would real..."


I hate 50 Shades, loads of authors have just copied her and then tried to take it further with slavery/abuse etc. Ugh.
I don't mind books on human trafficking as long as it's not sensationalised erotica. It's so distasteful.


message 30: by Roksana (new)

Roksana Ferdy wrote: "Roksana wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "Those fans have no idea what real abuse is all about..they live in the fantasy that these books represent..:D

I agree, if they were ever subjected to that maybe then..."


Me too...happy reading :D


Chelsea I completely agree. I thought that, maybe (only maybe) the first two could have been the beginning of some serious action and rebellion; perfectly rebel dystopian. But this last book fell so flat my parachute couldn't catch me in time an a suffered some serious head injuries. Just kidding. Though not at all about the disappointment that this book brought into my life.

At the end of book 2, when Lena was kissing Julian and pushing him to tell her he wuved her oh so much, I was ready to tear the dang book in half (too bad it was library book, because surely I would have after reading the next trifling scene). Then, just to be difficult, Ms. Oliver throws in the clincher with "Wait, I almost forgot! *Gasp* The love of your previous life has returned to you!! Just as you are declaring your undying love for another!" Oh, the horror! The pain! The agony! Someone gag me, please. It would be more humane.

This last installment of the 'Delirium' novels was completely centered around this freaking love triangle! Square! Octagon! Whatever! And still, STILL, the so called 'answers' we received, those answers which were so freaking eye opening? Yeah. NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH! I honestly do not see how anyone could be pleased with this absolute non-ending that Ms. Oliver forced upon her readers. I had some serious recuperation to deal with before I moved on to my next book. Truly, the sole reason that I decided to suffer through this book was that so I might see how Lena, Alex, and Julian's love triangle played out. And boy, was I sorely disappointed with what I got.


Ferdy Grace wrote: "I completely agree. I thought that, maybe (only maybe) the first two could have been the beginning of some serious action and rebellion; perfectly rebel dystopian. But this last book fell so flat m..."

LOL, I wasn't a fan of the first two books but like you said there was promise of loads of action, rebellion, and some good teen angst. Sadly, we got none of that. We didn't even get a proper ending!

I was so looking forward to a decent confrontation and resolution to the Julian/Lena/Alex drama but that didn't happen - Alex and Lena avoided each other for most of the book, Julian was clueless, and Lena was indecisive. Ugh.


Mizuki I agree! For more than 200 pages Lena didn't think of her supposedly-dead-but-now-alive mother, and then they just made up?


Mizuki Btw, you mentioned everything in the book that pisses me off...


Ferdy Mizuki wrote: "I agree! For more than 200 pages Lena didn't think of her supposedly-dead-but-now-alive mother, and then they just made up?"

IKR, it was ridiculous. The author should have concentrated more on the things that mattered instead of the silly love triangle.


Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "IKR, it was ridiculous. The author should have concentrated more on the things that mattered instead of the silly love triangle. "

It's confirmed that Lauren Oliver doesn't know crap about writing dystopian novels, she should have kept her hands off this field.


Ferdy Add Veronica Roth and Ally Condie to that list, all of them are terrible writers.


Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "Add Veronica Roth and Ally Condie to that list, all of them are terrible writers."

Whole heartedly agree with Veronica Roth! As to Ally Condie, I will still give her the benefit the double because I do think the first two books of her Matched trilogy are nice to okay-ish, although I hate the third book.


Ferdy I hated all the Matched books - found the characters insufferable and the plot nonsensical. I think Ally Condie is the worst out of the lot for me.


Jelfi I laughed more than I should have, that breakdown was priceless :D


Ferdy Jelfi wrote: "I laughed more than I should have, that breakdown was priceless :D"

Thanks, I just re-read it myself, I'd completely forgotten all about it! :D


message 42: by Mada (new)

Mada I just finished Pandemonium and I loved Julian. Still, I get why Alex is so angry in Requiem. She moved on way too soon. He died (while saving her) and only six months later she was already in love with another guy. I waited longer after a simple break up. She should've waited longer if she really loved him.


Ferdy Mada wrote: "I just finished Pandemonium and I loved Julian. Still, I get why Alex is so angry in Requiem."

I honestly don't think Alex had any right to be angry since Lena genuinely thought he was dead, also I don't think she was really in love with either guy. I think they were both just intense teenage crushes.
I do think it would have been out of order though if Lena had been with Alex for a long time (instead of all of five minutes) and had been really committed to each other and then just moved just like that after his dead. But yea, I just never believed in either relationship.


back to top