Nic's Reviews > Raise Your Glass

Raise Your Glass by John  Goode

bookshelves: mm, series, college-or-high-school, dreamspinner-purchased, zz-amazon-yes

When times get tough, you really find out what people are made of and in this book Brad and Kyle totally shine, particularly Kyle who is no longer a wall flower and very much the centre of attention.

The experiences the boys go through as they return to school are heartbreaking. As to be expected, the reaction from the other students is not positive and Brad and Kyle are tormented for their sexuality. But it is the reaction of the adults - the teachers and authority figures - that is the most shameful. This is tough look at what life can be like for young people who don't conform to what other people deem as being acceptable - bullying and lack of support. But there is a positive ending as support comes from some unexpected places.

I liked the message from the author at the end of the book, an anti-bullying message, to remind people they are never alone and remind us, the reader, that although this story is a work of fiction, bullying is an all too common occurrence that can have tragic consequences.

Visit my blog if you want to see all my m/m reviews in one place! Because Two Men Are Better Than One!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raise Your Glass.

March 13, 2013 – Shelved