Elizabeth's Reviews > Forever Too Far

Forever Too Far by Abbi Glines

it was ok
bookshelves: worst-books-ever

Actual rating: 1.5 very generous stars

Why did I do this to myself? I knew going in it would be a problem and I plowed right on ahead and did it anyway.
 photo shotmyself_zps00c6ba70.gif

I should have run away screaming when my friend lent this to me. I should have listened to that little voice inside my head telling me...
 photo runawayoctopusnopenopenope_zpsf0b5dbc5.gif
Sadly, I did not.

To me this book was merely a money-making venture. Seriously, this series could have very easily been completed with an epilogue. It would have been nice actually if the author had done this, as many others do, and offered it to her fans for free. Except then Abbi Glines wouldn't have had the opportunity to hook you on her other books. Like those she's very obviously planned for Grant and Woods. See, here's the thing, a huge component of this novel is dedicated to other characters and setting up their own stories. Entire chapters are dedicated to completely irrelevant story arcs. Listen, if I find Grant or Woods so interesting I'll read their stories, I don't need or want you taking away from other characters to push your agenda.
 photo bigbangtheorysheldonitsatrap_zps29a05970.gif

To make matters worse, and to further solidify my point, the author had the balls to throw an advertisement into the middle of a chapter. Really, I shit you not. Right there in the wedding scene, she actually interrupts it to direct the reader to buy Rush Finlay's song on iTunes. What?
 photo tumblr_ll39e709kG1qdoqnm_zps709a4e22.gif

There is little in the way of actual plot in this installment. It's really just an excuse to watch Rush and Blaire play house and engage in the simple pleasantries of pre-marital bliss. I guess if you're into that, then go for it, 'cause that's what you're gonna get. Yes, there's drama when Nan busts back on the scene but honestly, I hate her so much at this point I wanted to skip those scenes entirely so they added nothing of consequence. Her presence only made me want to beat myself over the head with something blunt and heavy.
 photo tumblr_ly4kcsAlHd1qaoevno6_250_zps13ec0593.gif

Yeah, there's some other stuff that comes up, nothing earth-shattering or important, and nothing that truly added anything to the story as a whole. It was merely filler. (view spoiler)

Back to Nan. Oh how I hate Nan. And, aside from hating her, I wanted to punch Rush in the face every time he ran after her. I mean, come on, really? Are we really rehashing that shoddy story arc again? Didn't we suffer enough Nan in the last book? I guess not. I'd thought perhaps Nan had learned a life lesson almost getting killed and all that, sadly that seemed to only amp up her bitch-o-meter. It honestly got to the point in this book where the whole Nan/Rush relationship felt awfully incestuous. And to make matters worse, the hooker is even nastier than before. And Rush is just as big an ass, chasing her narrow ass all over L.A. while she acts like a fucktwat. And that's only when she's not screaming at Blaire and Harlow about how they've stolen everything from her and they're evil incarnate.
 photo youstolemylife_zps021b9427.gif
Bitch please. Get a clue, no one cares. You suck. Please die.

So, yeah, this was an epic waste of time. There were more grammatical mistakes than I could keep track of and I found myself wincing a lot at the sentence structure. Not. Good. So, I think it's best if Abbi Glines and I part ways at this point. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get her, and clearly, as a reader, she doesn't get me. But that's fine, she has tons of fans and my absence won't make a dent.

Farewell. I'm out.
 photo shitshitshit_zpsfb19ae14.gif

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Too Far.

March 13, 2013 – Shelved
June 10, 2013 – Started Reading
June 10, 2013 –
0.0% "Why am I doing this to myself? I didn't even like the last book. Ugh. I am officially an asshat."
June 10, 2013 –
3.0% "Dean's going to think you're a whiny princess because you are a whiny princess, princess."
June 10, 2013 –
6.0% "Um, when did Nan become Rush's problem? Doesn't she have parents? Here's a suggestion, Rush, say no."
June 10, 2013 –
6.0% "You're getting married in two weeks and haven't mailed the invites? Who are these people?"
June 10, 2013 –
8.0% "Hey Blaire, where'd you hide Tootie's body?"
June 10, 2013 –
21.0% "Wait a minute. This timeline doesn't jive. You met Rush in June, it's now November and you're twenty weeks pregnant. Um, I'm no math genius or anything but wouldn't that mean that you literally had to get knocked up the day you met?"
June 10, 2013 –
21.0% "Okay, maybe Rush talking to the baby in utero is sort of cute. Just a little."
June 10, 2013 –
27.0% "I hate Nan. Her relationship with Rush seems almost incestuous. It's sick and disturbing."
June 10, 2013 –
40.0% "Here's a thought. When someone threatens to kill themselves, instead of enabling their psychosis, how about calling the professionals? I know this is outlandish thinking on my part, but what have you got to lose?"
June 10, 2013 –
44.0% "OH. MY. GOD. Really? I mean that. Really? This shit with Nan is so stupid I want to scream and kick something."
June 11, 2013 –
69.0% "Did the author really throw an ad into the middle of a chapter in large bold print?"
June 11, 2013 –
94.0% ""More hungrier" I can't. I just CAN. NOT."
June 11, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 12, 2013 – Shelved as: worst-books-ever

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

message 1: by C (new) - added it

C "Bitch please. Get a clue, no one cares, especially not the reader at this point. You suck. Please die." I think I just peed myself! I was wondering about this one, I'm getting a little tired of these drawn out series. Sadly I really enjoyed the first two....I blame it on the bundles of crap I've been reading. I'm also starting to realize some people must just like to throw stars to certain authors. Oh well, live and learn!

Elizabeth Cheryl wrote: ""Bitch please. Get a clue, no one cares, especially not the reader at this point. You suck. Please die." I think I just peed myself! I was wondering about this one, I'm getting a little tired of ..."

HA! I actually laughed after I wrote that, thinking that maybe it was too harsh... but, no, it was just right. I do get why people like Glines' books, it's sort of like being back in high school with all the drama and fighting and angst. Everything is super huge and life shattering. But I'm done with that high school life and I'm looking for something more and Abbi Glines clearly isn't going to give it to me. Sadly you have to read a lot of crap to find the gems, but that only makes them more worth it when you do :)

message 3: by C (new) - added it

C No it was perfect but I guess I shouldn't admit I've been sucked into The Keatyn Chronicles. I actually feel my IQ drop as I read it, but it's like crack, I just can't seem to tear myself away! It's actually really sad because even my eighteen year old refuses to read it. :/ I think I've just lost all credibility! Ha.

Elizabeth Cheryl wrote: "No it was perfect but I guess I shouldn't admit I've been sucked into The Keatyn Chronicles. I actually feel my IQ drop as I read it, but it's like crack, I just can't seem to tear myself away! I..."

Haven't read that...yet. But then I seem to be a crap magnet so I'm sure I will. I can almost feel the brain cells revolting in my head now. Yeah, I lost all credibility with my teen read group when they caught me reading Beautiful Bastard. They mock me now. Jerks :)

Nikki ღ Navareus This review is fantastically perfect! I only wish I had read it before buying the book. That's what I get for impulse buying.

Elizabeth N wrote: "This review is fantastically perfect! I only wish I had read it before buying the book. That's what I get for impulse buying."

LoL, thanks! I'm still kicking myself for buying the last book, damn one-click gets me every time, thank god I didn't buy this one! What. A. Waste. But it won't happen again, Abbi Glines and I can no longer be friends, she's betrayed me too many times.

Thanks for commenting, I love chatting books, especially those I love and those I loathe. Keeps it interesting :)

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena This is making me reconsider reading this last book... I do think that I have to read it though, just to form my own opinions. I was too much of a fan of the first too books.

Elizabeth Lena wrote: "This is making me reconsider reading this last book... I do think that I have to read it though, just to form my own opinions. I was too much of a fan of the first too books."

If you're a fan of the series then you'll probably want to read it just for closure. I didn't really like the second book but felt it did a good job at ending the story. I think it all comes down to how you feel about the characters. If you loved them then you should definitely go for it. I never really cared for them that much so for me it didn't add anything new. Be prepared, though, Nan is a mega-bitch in this one.

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena Can't wait! I love bitch fights!

Elizabeth Lena wrote: "Can't wait! I love bitch fights!"

Enjoy! I hope you'll write a review, can't wait to see what you think of Nan :)

Shannon The Show Stopper Elizabeth wrote: "There are books like Entangled and Wallbanger, even Beautiful Stranger, which I totally love even though they're crack to me. That's okay, I make no apologies, you like what you like, I just can't get down with Abbi Glines anymore. No way. ..."

I opted out of this one based on the first two books alone. I wasn't impressed with them. Your review is hysterical...I love it!

I too LOVED Wallbanger and Tangled.

Elizabeth Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "There are books like Entangled and Wallbanger, even Beautiful Stranger, which I totally love even though they're crack to me. That's okay, I make no apologies, you like what you l..."

Whenever I'm looking for mindless fun I whip out Wallbanger and just start reading. It's my go to giggle book. Books like those are my guilty pleasure. They make my insides happy!

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "There are books like Entangled and Wallbanger, even Beautiful Stranger, which I totally love even though they're crack to me. That's okay, I make no apologies, you like what you l..."

Shannon The Show Stopper Katy wrote: "Totally agree. I guess I liked the 1st book enough to read the 2nd book but remember thinking, WTH w/2nd book. Sucked. Can't believe there is enough demand for 3rd book. I'm getting so tired of the same boring plot and rich, immature characters. ..."

Well I was still new to goodreads when book two came out so everyone was all in a tizzy over Rush, Rush, Rush. This was basically an example of me being sucked into reading something I wished I would have all together avoided because of the frenzy surrounding the books release. I've since learned my lesson. However, once I read the first book I'm such a nosey bitch I HAD to read the second. Thank God there's been enough time between that 2nd book and this one where I'm not compelled to know the rest of the story.

Elizabeth Katy wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "There are books like Entangled and Wallbanger, even Beautiful Stranger, which I totally love even though they're crack to me. That's okay, I make ..."

Totally agree. The New Adult & Adult Contemp market is flooded with the same crap right now, loaded down with tons of formulaic stories and flaccid characters. It's much harder to find something good and the prices for indies just keep going up. I'm making my book picks based on friend reviews and recommendations, and thank god for the Kindle sample feature! Dodged a few bullets with that :)

Elizabeth Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: "Totally agree. I guess I liked the 1st book enough to read the 2nd book but remember thinking, WTH w/2nd book. Sucked. Can't believe there is enough demand for 3rd book. I'm getting so..."

Same for me. Plus I had no smart GR friends back then to steer me away *sniffle* I never would have read this one had I not been able to borrow it.

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: "Totally agree. I guess I liked the 1st book enough to read the 2nd book but remember thinking, WTH w/2nd book. Sucked. Can't believe there is enough demand for 3rd book. I'm getting so..."

Shannon The Show Stopper Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than quality lately which sucks! A lot of crap to weed through. Have you read Experiment in Terror???.."

OMG!!! You've hit a sore spot with me. Thoughtless has to be the worst fucking book ever! UGH!!!! I wanted to stab myself in the eye! Not to mention it's like a gazillion pages long...the torture was never ending! I was determined to finish it so I could write a scathing review and say "I READ THIS ENTIRE PEICE OF SHIT". Every single time somebody sends me a friend request and I compare our books...I always look and see what they rated that book. The majority of people give it 5 stars although I will NEVER understand why. It will baffle me for the rest of my life! Sorry to go off on a rant. This is one of those books where I won't back down or even say "You're entitled to your opinion" even if I am in the minority. If that is one of your favorites, I'm totally thinking

photo areyouguysondrugs_zps8b272bb7.gif

Shannon The Show Stopper Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks :) This was a fun review to write because the book was SOOO bad. I kept reading thinking "there has to be more, right?" and then suddenly there just wasn't. No plot, no character development. Zip. Zero. Zilch. ..."

When a book is really bad, writing the review can be cathartic.

Shannon The Show Stopper Is experiment in terror good?

Elizabeth Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than quality lately which sucks! A lot of crap to weed through. Have..."

Haven't read Thoughtless and have no plans to. Far too many people have warned me to stay away. I keep hearing the same thing, the heroine is an stupid asshat. No thanks, all full up on those. Next please. So at least you're not alone :)

Elizabeth Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks :) This was a fun review to write because the book was SOOO bad. I kept reading thinking "there has to be more, right?" and then suddenly there just wasn't. No plot, no ch..."

Oooohhhh, it was so cathartic I can't even begin to explain.

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than quality lately which sucks! A lot of crap to weed through. Have..."

"That will baffle me for the rest of my life"!! No shit! So true! It was the worst waste of time & money EVER!! And yes, the review can be cathartic. So can reading the other scathing reviews!

EIT is the BEST!! It's a slow build. The 1st book is a little slow but by the end, you are hooked. The series gets better w/each book. I'm a HUGE addict of EIT. In all the books I've read, my top series & author. Period!!

Wait, was Experiments in Terror any good? It's on my TBR at the moment.

Shannon The Show Stopper Smart girl! I wished I'd been that smart :)

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy Elizabeth wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than quality lately which sucks! A ..."
You were lucky to be warned! I was not so lucky :(. Worst book I've ever read!

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Is experiment in terror good?"

I'd be more than happy to loan some of the books to you but I think you can get the first 4 EIT books for $3! Huge bargain! Book 7 comes out 6/23.

message 28: by Katy (new)

EIT is THE BEST! Serious! It starts kinda slow but gets better w/each book. I promise!

Elizabeth Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than quality late..."

It might have some competition with The Perfect Game for worst book ever. Bleck! What a horror show. I've had to create a bookshelf just to house these atrocities so they don't start infecting my other shelves.

I'll have to bump it to the short list and take a peek once I'm done with the Fever series. Thinking I'll need a change of course after that.

message 31: by Katy (new)

Katy Elizabeth wrote: "Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more about quantity than..."

I have a "dnf" shelf but I've probably shown those books as "read"...am I infected? That would suck...

Elizabeth Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also think its more a..."

Shannon The Show Stopper Elizabeth wrote: "
I dunno, but I don't trust those bastards. They're shifty. I felt they needed to be separated, just in case it was contagious..."

Bahahahahahaha! I have a waste-of-time shelf

message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy Elizabeth wrote: "Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Katy wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Shannon The Show Stopper wrote: "Katy wrote: ".Haha! I know about that, getting sucked in to the hype (Thoughtless anyone??) I also thi..."

Okay, damn...I'll have to disinfect to be safe. I hate cleaning.

message 35: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 01, 2013 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elizabeth Nakita wrote: "Finally, someone else who isn't mindlessly in love with this laughable excuse for a novel!! <3 your review!"

Thanks :)
This book was simply about making money. Abbi Glines wanted to milk this cash cow for all she was worth and that truly, truly pisses me off. The book >b>SUCKED! The story was done. GAH! I'm still angry that I read this crap. It made my coveted "Worst Books Ever" shelf.

Elizabeth Nakita wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Nakita wrote: "Finally, someone else who isn't mindlessly in love with this laughable excuse for a novel!!

Thanks :)
This book was simply about making money. Abbi Glines wante..."

IKR?! I still can't believe she interrupted a chapter to advertise Rush's song on iTunes. I mean, get real. Totally about the $$$ Listen, I'm all about authors getting paid, unless you're a big name it's so tough to make a living writing, however, I can't respect tactics like that. It's a rip-off for the reader. Poor taste. Glad to know there's someone else who saw it for what it was.

message 37: by Nelly (new)

Nelly Seriously? Rush'song on iTunes? Lol, I swear I won't read this book, no more "too far". I'm done...

Elizabeth Nelly wrote: "Seriously? Rush'song on iTunes? Lol, I swear I won't read this book, no more "too far". I'm done..."

LOL! Right?!?! Blatant money grubbing. What a fail.

message 39: by Nelly (new)

Nelly Totally fail!! Thumbs down...

Liesbeth I finished the first book and was surprised to see that there were more books. This story didn't need 2 more books. It was perfect as it was. It's also fine to leave some stuff to the imagination of your readers. Book 2 was kinda blah, but this 3rd book took the cake. Like you I was thinking: wtf do I care about this Della girl, or being in the mind of Grant all of a sudden. I mean, I could get Grant if it was all about rush & blaire. But throwing in all these random new characters just to show case a new series. The new brother angle was just...:/ I don't even know what to say about that. This new chick that everyone is sooo smitten with without even knowing her, I mean Blaire is all worried about her while she's in labor after meeting her for 1 minute? Nan was just too much at the end, found it also pretty creepy that grant and her hooked up whil they grew up in the same house. Some of these characters, like woods, would make an interesting story for a new book...but do a little intro to that after this book. That gets ppl hooked just as well without butchering a book about your main characters.
Hm, ok I'm starting to ramble :P I hardly ever leave comments but this one got to me. I loved the characters/1st book and feel screwed over after this. So I agree with your post. I read the vincent boys and loved the first book...really disliked the 2n. So maybe abbi isn't for me either.

message 41: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin White When I finished the book after Blaire saves a new character that just appeared from someone who was barely mentioned, I thought maybe I'd lost some chapters there. But no, that was the end. I didn't realise there was spin off books from this but I guess now not makes sense.

It was pretty tedious and I just skim read it really... I got it right from the start: bratty sister throws a tanty, Rush runs off after her then claims she won't come first again, repeat cycle. So much whinging.

Your review made me laugh out loud though, so I guess it was worth reading the book so I got to read this.

message 42: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 19, 2014 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elizabeth Kirstin wrote: "When I finished the book after Blaire saves a new character that just appeared from someone who was barely mentioned, I thought maybe I'd lost some chapters there. But no, that was the end. I did..."

This series is so monotonous it's painful. Yes, tedious is a perfect word. Painfully tedious. There's a point at which a series reaches an organic conclusion and anything beyond that is fodder for the fans. Abbi Glines has not learned that yet. I'm glad the review got a giggle though. I was so pissed when I wrote that. BTW, I checked out your books, you and I clearly had the same relationship with The Hunger Games trilogy. That one made me laugh...

Bumblebee Dumb ass novel.