Jennifer Sutliff's Reviews > Strong Enough

Strong Enough by Ellen Harger

I make no bones about the fact that I am a Midwestern gal, born and raised in Joplin, MO and then I transplanted myself here in Springfield, which is the inspiration for Harger’s fictional town of Sundown, MO. But even if you’ve never been to Missouri, there is quite a lot about this novel that is enjoyable.

Right away, we are introduced to the book’s main character, Whitney, in a very memorable way. Harger has this skillful way of making the reader connect with the characters she has created. Whitney journeys from her small hometown, in hopes of a fresh start, to the small burg that is Sundown where she reconnects with her two college friends. But if you think that this is just another story of gal pals hoofing it through life with shopping bags and men in tow, you’re sorely mistaken. The book does focus on fresh starts, even if that means “burning a few bridges to get there.” Love, life, and the choices we make (and how tough they are to make) is a reoccurring theme.

WARNING: GUSHY BOOK REVIEW ALERT

I did not want to put this book down. In fact, it took me months to read it because I was so busy with school. But when I did finish it, I found myself missing the characters. Harger really made them come to life with her gift of description. I felt like they were people I knew, old friends that I might see out and about. That is the sign of a good read. I laughed, I am sure if I was capable of crying I would have, and I even at one point, found myself yelling at one of the characters in the book.

Harger also does an excellent job with tackling a touchy social issue and how it is handled here in the Bible Belt. But she makes no apologies for it. And why should she? Answer: she shouldn’t.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strong Enough.

March 13, 2013 – Started Reading