Sarah's Reviews > Rosebush

Rosebush by Michele Jaffe

F 50x66

I can't rate this. Too many conflicting emotions.

On the one hand, I love, love the premise. I love the way the author told the story, with a prologue of the present and then alternating between the night of the accident and Jane's recovery. It was very effective. I loved a lot of the symbolism in there and the mystery. And the book is truly poignant - within the first 100 pages I was crying so hard I could barely see the page. (Annie. That sweet little girl kills me.)
The heroine is not very admirable, but she's not really supposed to be. A lot of the book's plot is based on her insecurity and her gradual realization of it and overcoming. I didn't admire her at all - but I did pity her. I felt she was worth pitying and that, eventually, she might become something admirable. I don't think even the author expects anything more than that (maybe sympathy from some). So in the end, I wasn't annoyed by her the way I am in books where the main character never becomes self-aware, or where the author tries to pass off her self-esteem issues as normal or desirable (coughtwilightcough).
And I don't actually mind Jane's obsessive attention to what people wear. In any other book, I would have written it off as too shallow and been unable to continue. In Rosebush, it was a little distracting, but it seemed a natural product of Jane's photographic hobby. She's not just extremely focused on clothes - she describes a lot of things in vivid detail. In fact, the first page of the book is her describing what her body in the rosebush looks like in the police photo. In a LOT of detail. So it seemed less to me like she was extremely fashion conscious (although she is undeniably conscious of her appearance) and more like she's an extremely visual person.
In the end, however, the sex, drugs, and other bits of the book that left me uncomfortable keep me from giving it the four stars I would have liked too. I can't recommend this book to friends because it's got some very sexual content in it. That may not bother everyone, but it does bother me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosebush.

Finished Reading
March 12, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl You need to write more reviews. And get more followers. This is much more insightful and helpful than the reviews higher on the page. You read the book with care & respect, wrote the review with care & honesty, and didn't try to be all clever & self-serving. Thank you.

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I'm glad it was helpful. I will try to write more reviews, and you can always ask me what I thought of a book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Very good review!

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I showed your review to my group, More than Just a Rating, http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6..., and I'm sure you will be glad to see the reaction when you click that link... :)

Eugenia Rosini Wait, where were the "very sexual content"?