Dani Morales's Reviews > Imitation

Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand

What can I possibly say about Heather Hildenbrand that yall don’t already know? Just when I think she can’t possibly top her latest book, she goes and proves me wrong. The last book I read from Heather was DreamKiller and I absolutely loved that one, if you haven’t read it yet be sure to pick it up and read it. So when I saw the cover and read the synopsis to Imitation, I knew immediately it was going to be an amazing book. I mean after-all look who its by, right?

“Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me. I wrestle with these contradicting truths most nights while the rest of the sleep.”

First three lines of the book had me instantly hooked. Why you ask? Well lets dissect it from my point of view for a moment. Heather writes “Everyone is exactly like me” what could that mean? Well that’s the tricky part right? If everyone is like you they either A) have to be you B) or be the same type of you. Confused? Don’t be it’ll make sense later. “There is no one like me” obviously means the person is unique. No two people are created the same, or are they? Which brings us to the last sentence of the two statements contradicting themselves. How can everyone be the same but not? Got you spinning yet? I can honestly say I loved this. It made me think, it made me curious to see what this character was talking about being the same yet different. But isnt that how we are now? We are all human so that makes us the same but we all have our own traits, our own personalities so that makes us different. Unique. That is unless you’re a twin, then you look the same and may even act the same, but there is always something a small part of you that will make you different. Unique, the contradiction of being the same yet different. Mind blown, definitely!

Ven is the female MC in imitation. Everything is told from her and lets just say that I don’t envy her at all. I mean Twig City doesn’t sound like a place I would love very much, but then living up to what she was created for doesn’t sound to appealing either. Well not at first anyways. It starts with a letter from Marla. The letter is like a death sentence, why, well because it means you leave Twig City and never return. Where do you go, what do you do, what exactly are you? It all lies within the title. You’re an imitation. When ‘duty’ calls you have no choice but to comply and that’s what happens to Ven. Duty called but the plus side of her duty detail includes the very handsome body guard Linc. Can I just say that I wouldn’t mind being in her shoes so much when hes around.

Secrets. So many secrets. Will Ven gain what she truly wants? Does Ven and Linc become more than what they are? Does Linc find out the biggest secret Ven is keeping from him? And what’s happening to the other like Ven? What’s going to be Ven’s role it all of it and is Linc going to stand by her and help her?

“Joy, bigger than anything I’ve ever experienced, surges into my chest. It is a feeling so solid, it seems touchable. If this is what it’s like to be human… and then I realize—this is what it’s like to be me.”

This book is definitely a series so when you reach the end don’t be surprised, well go ahead and be surprised because well it’s going to leave you craving the next book. I know I am. I can’t wait to see what happens with Ven and Linc.

One of the things that truly stuck with me is the fact that for some strange reason, this book almost holds a truth to it. The extreme possibility that this could very well be going on right now and we don’t even know it makes it that much more intriguing. Heather Hildenbrand, you definitely have out done yourself once again. I cannot wait for the next book to this amazing series and I’m absolutely in love with Linc. He’s truly amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imitation.

Started Reading