leslie nikole's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

bookshelves: 2013
Recommended to leslie by: Andy

Please keep in mind the following quote by Junot Díaz himself before you go to complain that this book is, like, a tenth Spanish. “Motherfuckers will read a book that’s one third elvish, but put two sentences in Spanish and they [white people] think we’re taking over.”

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is really three things in one: a third history lesson (told the way someone would on the street instead of a stuffy classroom), a partial Spanish lesson, and all the while being an overall exceptional (it did win the Pulitzer Prize) novel. Out of all three published novels by Díaz, the characters in The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao are all inevitably doomed in one way or another, be it by fukú (witchcraft and the idea of spirits is widespread in the entire Caribbean) or their own foolishness and stubborn ways. For the most part of the book, you root for Oscar, his sister Lola, and especially Abelard, a man in an extremely tough position trying to do the impossible: protect his family from Trujillo (affectionately called El Fuckface).

more of the review here http://immaread.blogspot.ca/2013/04/d...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Quotes leslie Liked

Junot Díaz
“Dude, you don't want to be dead. Take it from me. No-pussy is bad. But dead is like no-pussy times ten.”
Junot Díaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

March 12, 2013 – Shelved
April 18, 2013 – Started Reading
April 18, 2013 –
page 11
3.28% "When in doubt, return to Díaz. The "preface" of sorts is hilarious and quite informative. I mean, I knew about the invasion, but I didn't know that much about Trujillo. I did know not to make light of the fukú, fukú doesn't play that when you're caribe."
April 20, 2013 –
page 11
3.28% "Between hot tea, overloading on DayQuil, and snuggled up with this, I basically finished it in one shot (between period passing out from the cold medicine of course)."
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013